Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody know how to find out the key demographics of an area?

(8 Posts)
NavyGold Mon 12-Feb-18 09:36:35

I'm applying for a job in a borough of London that I'm familiar with but it would be helpful to know specific statistics for the role rather than what I'm aware of anecdotally.
I'm trying to find out things like ethnicity, pupil premium, etc. Not just for that particular school but for the borough that the school is in.

Felyne Mon 12-Feb-18 09:51:55

Something like this might be a good start? dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

thefemaleJoshLyman Mon 12-Feb-18 22:45:56

You could use census data, although 2011 is rather out of date now, most LAs have some mid point data. Some Ofsted reports have some data and League tables have some too. I don't know what role you are going for but doubt you would need too muchnbeyond the school context.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Mon 12-Feb-18 22:52:17

Felyne That link is truly sobering and utterly fascinating.

NavyGold Tue 13-Feb-18 11:46:12

Thanks so much felyne, I’ll check that out.

thefemale yes I felt like the census would be out ffor date for this particulate context too. You’re right in terms of all I would meet to be sure on is the school context but I have some specific experiences that to want reference in my application so I want to be clear on the stats before I do so smile

Seeline Tue 13-Feb-18 11:56:56

Discovered this data set during DSs GCSE coursework https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/london-borough-profiles

chocoshopoholic Tue 13-Feb-18 12:04:02

If it's info for a specific school would the education endowment foundation family of schools database help.

Acopyofacopy Sat 17-Feb-18 20:14:51

This kind of information can be misleading. I once applied for a job in a super posh area. Turned out that all the posh kids went to private schools further afield and the kids from surrounding not so posh areas attended that school.

I now always check the actual catchment area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now