Talk

Advanced search

Science tech advise

(12 Posts)
madeyemoodysmum Sat 10-Feb-18 09:14:19

Your excellent opinions would be gratefully received.

I have an interview for this job soon
I am asking if your advise on what I'm likely to be asked at interview and also. If you do this job do you enjoy it.

It's part time. Do your schools allow flexibility in hours or do you have to be there when kids are there. Obvs other techs not teaching staff.

It would suit me to start early and finish early but the person I spoke to on the phone was very committal regarding the hours.

I used to work for big pharma and have relevant experience but not within a school so it's new territory.

Thank you.

madeyemoodysmum Sat 10-Feb-18 09:26:27

Not committing to the hours I should say.

Acopyofacopy Sat 10-Feb-18 09:28:35

I have moved into teaching from industry, and the adjustment to the timetabled rigidity of school life was quite painful.

Working part time there will be some flexibility in the days you are working, but there is no flexibility at all during the school day. The bell rules, and if you are helping to set up practicals etc. things have to be done in very fixed time slots.

Parts of your job will not be lesson related, but again access to equipment etc. will be limited by timetabling.

Most schools are happy to show you around before interview, asking about flexibility in your role might be a good idea.

PurpleDaisies Sat 10-Feb-18 09:30:40

As acopyofacopy says, once you’ve agreed your hours with the school, there’s absolutely no flexibility at all. There are great holidays in teaching “paid for” by the lack of any ability to work to your own pattern.

CraftyGin Sat 10-Feb-18 09:35:28

My technician works around her own children’s schools, so 9.30 - 2.30.

She manages her own time, and sets up well in advance. I just have to pick up the trays.

She’s brilliant.

madeyemoodysmum Sat 10-Feb-18 10:20:49

Thanks to those of you that have replied. That's my main worry. I'm currently self employed and used to being able to go to the gym at lunchtimes etc. Get all housework done in the week so I can have fun with dcs at weekends. but I get lonely on my own all day and miss a team environment
I know I can do this job but worry I will find it too restrictive. Ahhhhggg so confused.

Appuskidu Sat 10-Feb-18 10:25:18

It would suit me to start early and finish early

What hours are you hoping to work?

madeyemoodysmum Sat 10-Feb-18 10:36:23

I like 8.30-11.30
I know I'd have to do one day of 9.30-2.30 but the rest of the time is like the morning. It's not looking like it's likely. How easy it it to get staff for this job ?

sillyswimmer Sat 10-Feb-18 10:43:11

I worked as a science technician in a school but full time. A lot depends on the size of the department as to how flexible they can be. I was one of 3 techs. The senior technician started late and finished early but the rest of us were there to prep before and after lessons. The timing of the lessons meant the teachers couldn't always fetch or bring back trays so we had to do it, which limits the flexibility a lot.

If I were you, I'd go to the interview and ask your questions there.

PurpleDaisies Sat 10-Feb-18 10:44:16

I’d be very surprised if you didn’t have to stay at least until lunch so practicals can be reset for the afternoon if necessary and put things away from the morning. It would be really hard to do the job only working three hours a day unless there’s a job share.

PurpleDaisies Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:31

Plus, if you’re not starting until 830am, that could be very tight for getting stuff ready for 9am practical lessons.

madeyemoodysmum Sat 10-Feb-18 14:21:56

Yes guess I'm going to have to see how I feel then but I'm not getting good vibes The money's so bad I'm not really in it for that so it has to feel right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now