Talk

Advanced search

Moving from teaching - how to manage childcare in holidays.

(7 Posts)
Scooby23 Thu 08-Feb-18 07:29:33

Have seen job out of teaching that I think I would enjoy. It’s part time - 3 short days a week but year round. I’m worrying about managing school hols with childcare. Have two under ten so for quite few years yet will need looking after. I can’t keep up insane teaching hours. Has anyone made transition away from teaching and made it work for family? Thank you.

tissuesosoft Thu 08-Feb-18 07:31:59

Have a look on your council website, sometimes they have a list of approved holiday clubs. Some may even take childcare vouchers.

NapQueen Thu 08-Feb-18 07:33:54

Local childminders? Some do school holiday places.

bakingcupcakes Thu 08-Feb-18 07:38:32

The nursery my DS's in offers a holiday club up to 8 years old. That's where he'll continue attending in holidays after he leaves this year. There's bound to be places around you.

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Feb-18 07:38:36

Start with googling 'summer holiday club/care/camp <yourarea>'. This should bring up a lot of things that have run previously.
In my area:
Private schools often run schemes not well advertised, but available to non pupils
Leisure centre - scheme at ours runs all holidays, good price, but only there 8.45 till 4 (5 at the larger one a few miles away)
Tennis club
Rugby club
Watersports centres
Drama group
Private nurseries (for under 7's generally)
Churches

And I'm in a very small town! Not all of these run all summer, so mine will now go to a few different things, plus obv our family two weeks off.

Scooby23 Thu 08-Feb-18 07:56:45

Thank you very much everybody

Apple23 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:32:43

Do any of your current colleagues use a childminder in term time only, who would then have holiday spaces available?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: