Talk

Advanced search

Gossipy boss

(3 Posts)
2sly4you Tue 06-Feb-18 21:06:07

My line manager is unprofessional. She gives out confidential information about students and teachers, is at the centre of intrigues and generally stirs the pot.

I don't want to be unprofessional like her but she has drawn me in a few times. It always goes "This is confidential but..." or "it's just you and me but..." or "this goes no further but..."

At first I thought she didn't have a filter and couldn't help the leak of information but after some years working for her, I know she can definitely keep secrets. Anything that makes her look bad, astonishingly, that she can keep a filter on.
She obviously gossips about me and I called her on that when it got back to me.

Help me! How do I professionally disentangle myself from this petty bullshit? I only receive this unwanted gossip nuggets and don't send them on, but I want to stop getting them at all.

(The head of school, her line manager, is a piece of work. There is no recourse there)

Phineyj Wed 07-Feb-18 19:06:03

I can't see any real solution here (other than changing job) but try to avoid speaking to her unless others are there? I can see that would be hard in line management meetings though!

2sly4you Wed 07-Feb-18 20:38:45

That's actually quite a relief. I've been worrying at the problem, thinking if I just say a magic formulation of words, she'll stop the nightmare behaviour. But yeah, you're right. It's not going to change.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: