Talk

Advanced search

Year 9. Ugh.

(65 Posts)
OneOfTheGrundys Mon 05-Feb-18 18:37:29

Please come and tell me your Year 9s are horrible too?

We started the year ok. Since Christmas however, they’ve turned into moody, attention sucking monsters who barely lift a pen.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better isn’t it. 😱

hotmumma69 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:52:38

They're probably hormonal and confused about many things going on in their lives

MaureenMLove Mon 05-Feb-18 19:07:45

Ours arrived from yr8 pretty rough!grin.

I do find year 9s get much worse the further the year goes on though. Mainly because they start to realise some of the option subjects, they aren't taking, so don't bother. We've tried to stop this by bringing the new academic year in, after yr11 have gone at half term. It not worked effectively since the first year though, because now the year 9s are worse even earlier in the year because they know they become yr 10 at the end of May!

There are no solutions, but I feel your pain.

MirandaWest Mon 05-Feb-18 19:09:16

I possess a year 9 boy. I am sure that while he is generally nice, he is probably a pain at school an amount of the time blush

Abra1de Mon 05-Feb-18 19:09:40

From a parental point of view, it certainly seemed a lot of them became, erm, challenging in this year.

monkeysox Mon 05-Feb-18 21:13:58

Y9 are usually twats. Hth
flowers

GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo Mon 05-Feb-18 21:27:44

Now they're thinking about their options many of them have switched off as they're not picking my subject. I'll continue to be enthusiastic as possible but it's bloody hard going.

TheMathsTrainee Mon 05-Feb-18 22:07:27

Year 9 s are emotional vampires that suck the life blood out of you.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 05-Feb-18 22:16:26

IME, starts with girls in Yr 8, then graduates to boys in Yr 9.
'Tis all the hormones.
Not that hard any help, sorry! smile

Dermymc Mon 05-Feb-18 22:16:57

Year 9 is the year you need to be sent home and told to get over yourself.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 05-Feb-18 22:17:00

'that's', not 'hard'....
Bloody autocorrect.

AppleKatie Mon 05-Feb-18 22:19:46

They are a tale of two half’s at my school.

Half lovely. The other hell on earth.

And I should know I have to teach six sets of the little charmers 😲

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Feb-18 22:23:03

Six sets?
Have some wine or maybe gin
Thank fuck I don't teach any more and DS is doing GCSE.
I'm not looking forward to a Y9 DD though. Teachers. I'm sorry. shock

PumpkinPie2016 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:20:35

Mine are driving me mad at the moment! So whiny, moody and dramatic over random things!

They are a top set but their work rate compared to my Y10 too set last year is really poor.

This week, they are counting down to half term and are switchig off from learning already! Yesterday's lesson felt like whack a mole!

I'm hoping they will start to merge into reasonable people over the next term!

WeKnowFrogsGoShaLaLaLaLa Tue 06-Feb-18 08:00:34

The first time I had a tutor group hit Yr 9, I remember sitting there silently thinking I didn’t like a single one of them anymore.

Now I tell them they’re being horrible and we can all be friends again when they’re in Yr10. 😂

OneOfTheGrundys Tue 06-Feb-18 10:16:54

So good to know I’m not the only one! They’re just so... rambunctious! Whack a mole sums it up beautifully. After 14 years of teaching on and off, they can still de-skill me.
And according to them, they ‘actually behave quite well’ for me. I dread to think what they’re like elsewhere!
Parents evening soon though. What’s the betting the parents the department really want to meet face to face won’t show!? grin

OneOfTheGrundys Tue 06-Feb-18 10:25:47

6 sets shock
How do you do it!
I know there are lovely humans in there somewhere but 6 whole groups of what I went through yesterday would finish me.
You well deserve this half term.

sashh Tue 06-Feb-18 10:46:38

This is a tradition though isn't it. When I was a kid it was third years, no teacher liked teaching them.

AppleKatie Tue 06-Feb-18 13:42:50

I do it to pay the mortgage not fun! The joys and consequences of being forced to teach a second subject.

I always seem to get the really special ones for both subjects too. Makes for an interesting/exhausting/ridiculous parents evening as well...

AppleKatie Tue 06-Feb-18 13:44:02

When I finally get to a sixth form class it feels like Christmas 😃

Every year I’m told the situation is just ‘for one more year’ so I live in hope.

Bringmejavabringmejoy Tue 06-Feb-18 17:39:29

I think they should be allowed to drop subjects at the end of Yr8

DD has hated geography, ICT, RE and DT since she started high school. She's in Yr8 now and dreads another year and a half of those subjects.

Rosieposy4 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:03:17

Apple, sixth sets, you poor buggar !
I have 2 very ropey sets, with lots of poor behaviour. Hoping some of them might grow up before next term when we start the GCCE course.

DakotaFanny Tue 06-Feb-18 18:06:17

Year 9 are grim: unpredictable, obsessed with the opposite sex and too far away from exams to care. I dread seeing mine every day!

DakotaFanny Tue 06-Feb-18 18:07:22

Actually, to be fair, I have some absolutely delightful kids in my group but their looks of pity and despair only expound my feelings of inadequacy. Apart from this group, my classes run (pretty much) like clockwork.

OpheliaLeghorn Tue 06-Feb-18 18:10:17

I love this thread. One of mine is in Y9. I need say no more than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now