Talk

Advanced search

What CPD can I do while I’m not working?

(6 Posts)
TeaCoffeeCakeGinWine Thu 01-Feb-18 20:51:41

I’m a secondary geography teacher and currently ‘between jobs’ having been on maternity leave and recently relocated. I am job hunting and am getting interviews, but I am also wary of just jumping straight into any teaching role that comes along. It needs to fit with family life as far as is possible with teaching etc.

So, my question is, what are my CPD options while I’m not working? Things I can put on my CV (either teaching related or subject related or pastoral related) and talk about at interview, or even that may open up other doorways for me. My current qualifications are an undergrad degree, a PGCE and 6 years teaching. Any idea welcome! Thankyou!

OP’s posts: |
geogteach Thu 01-Feb-18 21:13:42

Despite the name
I don't really
Teach geog any
More so a bit out of touch with curriculum stuff but you could check the exam boards or the GA for online stuff. If you are interested in SEND NASEN have some free online training. There is also stuff on Future learn. The virtual college has Safegaurding stuff. You could also check what your union has in terms of training. Not sure if Field studies council offer training but may be worth a look.

OneOfTheGrundys Thu 01-Feb-18 21:35:33

Lots of free, sometimes random courses on futurelearn.com. Also twitter can be interesting. Gets tricky sometimes tho as the factions get fiesty with each other. (Trad v Prog stuff... like teachers should be fighting with all we have to deal with already).

wherehavealltheflowersgone Thu 01-Feb-18 21:40:50

Be an examiner! All the exam boards are desperate and it'd make you immensely employable

TeaCoffeeCakeGinWine Thu 01-Feb-18 21:48:35

Ooh thanks for your replies, loads of suggestions. I will look into all of them.

where I did try being an examiner last year. Turns out I was rubbish at it. My marking style (which is to err on the slightly hard side, and not award marks just because an answer is slightly approximately almost correct) was very different to that of the exam board. I persevered for quite a while but in the end felt I shouldn’t do it for the sake of the kids whose papers I was marking. But that’s a whole other thread.

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Thu 01-Feb-18 23:00:05

Get on twitter and follow loads of people, I’m always being told about maths conferences coming up. ResearchEd run events around the country and are worth going to (relatively cheap entry).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in