Advanced search

Haven't got enough work to do

(24 Posts)
WhySeaEm Fri 12-Jan-18 22:33:04

This sounds like the most ridiculous problem to have, but please bear with me.

In September I started a new role as a Home Liaison Officer/DSP. I love the school, the kids and the work but the problem is I can have entire days where I've got literally nothing to do. This was a new job so I'm the first they've had.

I spend my time in the front office helping out where I can but often there's no work there for me. When things kick off it can get busy but I'd estimate about 60% of my time I've got NOTHING to do.

I try to make myself useful and always go round asking if anyone has anything for me to do.

I'm bored- this should be a part time role really and I don't think they thought it through. What should I do? I've mentioned it to the assistant head a few times but she just says "it'll get busier" and it hasn't.

highinthesky Fri 12-Jan-18 22:36:30

You need a finite project to keep you going until “things get busier”. If you want to keep active and have a good skills set, the SLT should be biting your hand off at an offer to help.

WhySeaEm Fri 12-Jan-18 22:47:58

Thanks for the reply. I'm skilled! I'm often doing projects big and small for people.

It seems like the silliest thing to complain about but I see everyone else so busy and stressed and I'm just sat on my own with nothing to do.

chocoshopoholic Sat 13-Jan-18 06:57:50

Could you plan something extra for parents/carers? In our school our home liaison team organise sessions with the school nurse on head lice, puberty ect, they do English, maths and it sessions so parents can better support, they do the walking buses, at school application time they do 1:1 sessions with those struggling through lack of Internet / literacy.

chocoshopoholic Sat 13-Jan-18 06:59:08

We also have network /support morning for pupils with sen.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 13-Jan-18 07:37:13

Organise your systems and forms.
Make contact with every parent!
Homework project
Basic skills for parents
Support groups for parents - based on their needs and wants
Support parents/ students to appointments
Mental health and well-being

WhySeaEm Sat 13-Jan-18 15:37:25

Thanks for the suggestions!

It's a secondary school and very small (mld).

Apple23 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:46:33

As above, plus not long until you know your new intake, so plenty of liaison with primary schools to do.

Acopyofacopy Sat 13-Jan-18 16:58:02

If anybody in your school is organising trips (history, languages, PE) ask them if they need a hand. They will be eternally greatful!

Overhaul displays ready for Open Days.

Ask the finance manager if there is anything you could help with.

millmoo Sat 13-Jan-18 17:03:01

Ask the office ladies if they need a hand -they’ll bite your hand off !!

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 13-Jan-18 18:00:47

MLD? Well certainly the kinds of hings I’ve suggested above. Ring every family. Find out what they need. Definitely get yourself trained in first aid for mental health or similar.

tinytemper66 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:33:44

Teachers may need a hand with things eg photocopying, displays etc -until your role is embedded.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 18:39:31

Is it that people are so busy they don't have any time to hand over some tasks

WhySeaEm Sat 13-Jan-18 23:06:51

Yes I think so- everyone is super busy but with things they need to do themselves, I think!

I help the finance manager out the most but the office staff never seem to have anything for me to do.

TheSnowballFairy Sun 14-Jan-18 12:30:57

I started in a new position at my school (created for funding, wasn't expected to continue afterwards, still there in a different role 9 years on!).

I contacted other people from other schools doing a similar job to hear what they did so I could get some pointers - would that work for you?

WhySeaEm Sun 14-Jan-18 16:18:19

^ that's a good idea, we've got two linked schools so I can email my counterparts and see what they say.

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 14-Jan-18 16:21:08

I’ve just applied for a similar post. It’s only 21 hours, expecting that to be enough going off the job description.

Tipsntoes Sun 14-Jan-18 16:27:26

Isn't the role of a Home School Liason officer to proactively organise things that improve engagement. So if there isn't enough for you to do, you need to organise events or run projects that will meet the aims. Asking people in other schools what they do is a good idea.

WhySeaEm Sun 14-Jan-18 22:03:05

That's the thing @TheDrsDocMartens, I really think this should have been a part time job. I'd be more than happy going part time as it happens

WhySeaEm Sun 14-Jan-18 22:04:02

Also, I'm constantly being told what a fab job I'm doing and I feel like a fraud!

WhySeaEm Mon 15-Jan-18 22:03:39

bumping for any more help smile

Lowdoorinthewal1 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:28:38

Can you go and help in classes so you actually know the pupils as well as the parents?

junebirthdaygirl Sat 20-Jan-18 09:06:32

Start a parenting course. Or how to help your kids at exam times. Or how to apply for college. You need to get stuff going. Or how to help your kids with homework. Do you visit all the families or only troubled ones. Could you have specific open door times each week where parents can pop by to chat? Could you spend time researching? is it appropriate for you to do stuff with kids like drug awareness or anxiety mangement? I don't know your system. Maybe people in your role on here could give ideas.
Im at Primary so different. But have seen literacy stuff for parents or how to read a bedtime story course etc.

TheSnowFairy Tue 23-Jan-18 16:52:21

Are you any good with data? The new GDPR laws are coming imminently and you could look at how to help the school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now