Talk

Advanced search

I've got out...

(20 Posts)
FithColumnist Mon 18-Dec-17 21:19:15

So, I've finally got out. Packed up my stuff in a box today: a laminator and a load of books. I'm no longer a teacher. I don't know precisely what I expected to feel after all this, but I just feel rather flat.

NearlyEaster Mon 18-Dec-17 21:26:02

I imagine for a while you’ll feel very odd. Having nothing that you have to do. But if you’re anything like the teacher that left us last term you’ll look ten years younger by Feb half term.

sunshinemeg Mon 18-Dec-17 21:27:19

I got out end of 2015. I spent a long time feeling I was a teacher, but the stress has vanished. So much happier!!

PurpleDaisies Mon 18-Dec-17 21:28:14

Life’s too short to be unhappy. What are you doing next?

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:31:52

Good for you. I escaped last year. I also felt a bit flat but it soon passed, I'll tell you that! Its hard to redefine yourself. It's taken me quite a while to get over the guilt at not having something to do urgently at all times. My health and anxiety are much better. I thought I was quite a sweaty person. Turns out, I am not. I hardly even wear deodorant any more as I'm not in a heightened state of alert like I was in teaching. That's a bit weird.

BlessYourCottonSocks Mon 18-Dec-17 21:36:03

Don't worry - it's that time of year. Everyone is too knackered to feel any kind of emotion.

Imagine how ecstatic you will feel come Jan 3rd (or whenever your school is back...) grin

Congratulations!

Misspilly88 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:39:19

Woohoo! Good for you. Enjoy Christmas.

BossWitch Mon 18-Dec-17 21:42:07

Well done! Keep us updated with what you do next. I'm planning to finish at the end of the summer term for good, no idea what's coming next though!

BringOnTheScience Mon 18-Dec-17 21:47:03

Yay!!! Well done you :-)

You've taken a big step, and it will be worth it.

Now enjoy Christmas. Sleep in late tomorrow. Ignore your emails. smile

babysloth Mon 18-Dec-17 21:57:16

I got out this summer. I've been helping out in my DCs School a bit in the run up to Christmas and I did feel
a few twinges of regret, however a couple of nights out last week with some old colleagues reminded me why I got out. Good luck op, there is life beyond the School gates!

Shadowboy Mon 18-Dec-17 22:04:33

Congratulations! I wish I could follow you out! What’s the plan?

traumwerk Mon 18-Dec-17 22:06:02

I left in July - the greatest decision in my life! I might be broke, but you can't put a price on your mental health.

PugwallsSummer Mon 18-Dec-17 22:21:53

The best feeling is going to bed the night before the first day of every term without "the fear".

Oh, and weekends. And evenings.

I felt flat too during the holidays immediately after leaving but the relief hit me when term started - it was a beautiful thing smile

You WON'T regret it.

twinnywinny14 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:25:23

I left teaching in 2015 and have no regrets. Sure, I wish I earnt what I earnt then, and wish I had the holidays I had then (although admittedly I used to work most of them anyway!) but I have no regrets as it has massively improved my general health and wellbeing as well as my mental health. Well done for taking the leap and good luck!!

PinkAvocado Mon 18-Dec-17 22:29:10

When I got out of (state) teaching, it took a while for me to let go of all the emotional heaviness and I too felt flat. It took me months and months to trust and enjoy the relief of not having that constant heavy dread feeling and to not expect it to come flooding back. Congratulations!

Scooby23 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:34:54

Following xxx

Lucyben14 Tue 19-Dec-17 00:57:48

All those who have left - what do you do work wise now? I'm considering the same myself but not sure what I'd do!?

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 19-Dec-17 06:36:21

Get on the TES forum and have a look. Teachers always think they can't do anything else but anyone who has ever taught is, in general, superbly organised, an excellent planner, creative, good with people, computer literate and a proper grafter.

I'm an engineer. I had another career before teaching and returned to a related one. I promise, your earnings will go back up fairly quickly. I was on M6 and went into a job at the equivalent salary. I also know it'll go up and I don't have to do absurd things to get that now.

BringOnTheScience Tue 19-Dec-17 08:46:47

Lucyben I'm a full-time STEM Ambassador, working for a big STEM-related company. I take fun science activities into primary schools and do the careers events at secondaries. All the best bits of teaching with none of the crap: I am extremely fortunate.

Museums, businesses, heritage sites, etc, all have education outreach programmes of various sizes.

onanotherday Wed 20-Dec-17 22:20:44

I have been signed off.
anxiety/ depression and PTSD...for over 2 months now. ..I have been teaching 20+ years and it's just this week I've decided to call it a day. Will resign in the new year and stay signed off till end of term.
I feel sad I have had a successful career...but as a single mum of two teens, one with SEN's I can't put the amount of time in to the A levels I teach..a long commute and attend all the appointments we have. ..so watch this space..I have a mixture of anxiety an excitment.

OPflowers for a new life in the new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now