Talk

Advanced search

Working abroad

(8 Posts)
Avebury Thu 14-Dec-17 09:45:47

Does anyone here work abroad with a family in tow?
DH is contemplating it but it is hard to get a real insight as to whether it would be viable both financially and in terms of whether it would be a positive adventure for the DC.

He is currently looking at the Harrow group of schools only because a colleague worked at the one in Bangkok years ago and recommended it but if anyone has any advice or recommendations for other schools worth looking at we would be very grateful.
Open to all locations really although not sure about China.

MadamePince Thu 14-Dec-17 13:04:16

I work in Asia, at a small private school, not one of the big internationals. I also work on a local contract as I am a trailing spouse for my dh's career. I am however a parent governor at a well known School in the region.

There are many teachers here with families and there are a lot of teaching couples, most of whom I know say it has been great for them and their kids.

There are a lot of "Franchise" schools in the region now- Harrow, Marlborogh, Dulwich, Epsom etc. They are decent schools but they are not the same as their UK counterparts, no matter what their prospectus says. Some staff from the UK come in for a term or so, and there is some PDP from the parent school, but day to day it depends entirely on the local management.

What many teachers do say is, given the choice, they would rather work for one of the not-for-profit schools, rather than the franchises, or the big education groups like GEMS, Taylors and Nord Anglia. The Not-for Profit schools that come in consistently high in staff satisfaction are Tanglin Trust (Singapore), Alice SMith School (Kuala Lumpur) and Patana (Bangkok)

Avebury Thu 14-Dec-17 13:40:58

That is all so helpful - thank you.

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 04:13:29

This came in the news today, about a municipality trying to recruit teachers from the UK. Read it through Google translate. www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vasterbotten/soker-land-och-rike-efter-larare

SandLand Sat 13-Jan-18 05:18:16

Not a teacher, but have 2 kids in a primary section of a big international school (3000 kids in the middle east). I'd say the teachers are single, teaching couples with families, or a trailing spouse. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a situation as you would be in BUT that could be because we aren't a particularly desirable destination, and you may get a different balance in nicer places - basically, people come here for money and not lifestyle!

Look at cost of living in the places you are interested in - there are lots of comparison tables - and work things out factoring in a set of flights home at least once a year, and a holiday once a year.

Now seems to be the time to look - I know a number of teachers who have handed their notice in at Christmas, and some are getting interviews now for a September start.

Johnnycomelately1 Sat 13-Jan-18 05:33:45

There are quite a lot of "primary earner" teachers in HK. The schools tend to give fairly good deals on school fees and an accommodation allowance, albeit you would need to also work to be comfortable (is permitted on a dependent visa, no probs), and even then, you wouldn't be "rich".

triangle4321 Thu 25-Jan-18 14:53:33

My husband and I are both teachers and we moved with our young DC to China and now Bangkok. I have never looked back.

We have more money, less stress and amazing travel opportunities. I am very happy with the education my own DC are getting. We have experienced different cultures which the kids are wholeheartedly embracing.

It was only going to be a short term move but I don't know if we'll ever go home.

There are many reputable schools in almost every corner of the globe. A dig around on tes, International Schools Review and local expat forums will give you a good idea of the quality of the school.

Most decent schools will provide start and end of contract flights, healthcare, housing and 2 free kids places at the school. As well as a relocation allowance. Often the package is more generous if you are prepared to live in a less desirable country.

triangle4321 Thu 25-Jan-18 14:56:17

Also, depending where you go, one salary can be more than enough or if the rules allow it you may end up being offered work in the school in some capacity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: