Talk

Advanced search

Primary Supply - what's the work availability/agency shenanigans like at the moment?

(8 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Wed 13-Dec-17 12:02:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

disappearingninepatch Thu 14-Dec-17 21:17:54

I think that there is quite a variation in people's experience depending on geography. I am in the West Midlands and am registered with two agencies. After a very quiet September, I have worked almost every day that I have made myself available this term. I am a member of a fb group for supply teachers. There are members there who have only worked one or two days this term.
I would not do a taster day without being paid, but it's not uncommon for teachers to be asked to do so. My main experience of agency shenanigans is being offered long term jobs that do not exist!

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Thu 14-Dec-17 21:44:49

Oww I am East Midlands and Primary. I work with Connex and have since part way through last year. They have been great and I have been very busy (even in September). I normally have at least a days notice of where I am going although there have been some AM calls but that is to be expected. The work has been varied (some longer term and lots of repeat work at a schools request). I have only been quiet these past 2 weeks although I have a feeling that's down to schools covering Christmas bits and pieces with other staff as they are not teaching lessons. Feel free to PM me for more information but there is definitely work out there if you want it.

P.s: I have never been asked to do a trial day unpaid and to be honest I would refuse my time is worth something and if you are not going to pay me for working I would rather sit on the sofa eating biscuits. grin

MiaowTheCat Thu 14-Dec-17 21:52:56

MsJaneAusten Thu 14-Dec-17 23:14:45

If you want back in and would need to arrange childcare, would applying for permanent part time not make more sense?

MiaowTheCat Fri 15-Dec-17 07:06:39

Thehairthebod Mon 18-Dec-17 20:45:08

If you want back in and would need to arrange childcare, would applying for permanent part time not make more sense?

As someone who is just about the leave their part time teaching job because even that was taking over my life, I'm not sure part time is all that much better! "

ElfrideSwancourt Tue 19-Dec-17 09:48:52

@Thehairthebod I'm another part-timer in the same position- I spend my days 'off' doing planning etc. Am just working out whether to stay until the end of the academic year or go earlier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: