Talk

Advanced search

Will school let me take 2 days off for a funeral?

(28 Posts)
drfostersbra Sat 02-Dec-17 23:40:07

I have been back at work (primary teacher) on a 2 day a week basis post maternity leave since September and my Grandad has sadly just died.
The cremation will be at 10:30am on Friday morning.
Do you think I'll be allowed to take both my days off paid in order to attend? (With a small baby it will be very difficult to travel at night on Thursday to get there)
Thank you. I need to ring the head on Monday to ask.

OP’s posts: |
PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Dec-17 23:41:21

Possibly, if your head is nice.

Sorry for your loss. flowers

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Dec-17 23:43:28

Sorry, just read your post again. How far away is it that you couldn’t leave straight after school on the Thursday? If you left at lunchtime on Thursday, that might be a good compromise if the whole day is too much to cover.

MsAwesomeDragon Sat 02-Dec-17 23:45:43

My head let me have a day and a half for my grandma's funeral. I left at lunch on Thursday to travel down, then the funeral was Friday. He would have let me have all of Thursday if I'd needed it, but I didn't want to leave my sixth form if I could avoid it.

It is at the discretion of the head though, so you need to ask asap.

I'm very sorry for your lossflowers

drfostersbra Sat 02-Dec-17 23:47:41

Thank you.

drfostersbra Sat 02-Dec-17 23:48:11

Yes she is very nice

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Dec-17 23:53:29

If she’s nice, she won’t mind being asked and I’m sure will try to let you have the time off, although it would be pretty generous for two days paid-if you need the Thursday you’re more likely to get it as unpaid leave.

Milkandtwosugarsplease Sat 02-Dec-17 23:58:46

Sorry for your loss. flowers
My school only pay if we’re ill. Any additional leave is granted as unpaid. No harm in asking though.

elephantoverthehill Sun 03-Dec-17 00:01:37

flowers Just ask and explain. When I was a naive young teacher I missed my GA's funeral as I read my contract and it said 'time off for immediate family only'. My HoD was really shocked when he heard about it because he felt I was not able to ask his advice blush.

EvilTwins Sun 03-Dec-17 20:22:20

Depends very much on the HT. I've had paid time off, since becoming a teacher, for funerals, including those of close friends' parents, so not my own family, but have been refused paid time for looking after my own children when they've been ill - depends on what your contract says, if you're in an academy and so on.

BackforGood Sun 03-Dec-17 20:33:36

Are you able to swap your days with your job share ?

How far is the funeral ?

Like everyone else has said - it will depend on your HT, but it seems a bit of an ask to me.

Rosieposy4 Sun 03-Dec-17 21:12:47

Does seem a bit of an ask, you need to travel on Thursday after achool unless you are flying a very long way.
Don't forget you need to keep their goodwill too for other occasions, and it is not unreasonable to expect you to do a longish drive on the Thursday night.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sun 03-Dec-17 21:14:05

I think it could be a push to get both days off paid tbh.

Growingboys Sun 03-Dec-17 21:19:57

Can't you get there in time leaving at going home time on Thursday?

Chaosofcalm Mon 04-Dec-17 08:42:55

I have had to push to get unpaid time off for the funeral of family friends. Depends on the HT.

drfostersbra Mon 04-Dec-17 09:26:16

Thank you all the head's agreed. Whether in paid it not is still a mystery.

drfostersbra Mon 04-Dec-17 09:27:13

No because I have a baby so it will be difficult driving in the dark with a screaming baby as it is.
Lucky I've got a decent head.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Mon 04-Dec-17 09:31:38

We get 3 days paid compassionate leave.

Cleebope2 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:23:25

In my teaching union's conditions of leave we are entitled to three days off for a close family member 's death. So you can just take the days, surely?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 05-Dec-17 18:43:43

@Cleebope2 a grandparent isn't always seen as a close family member.

That's usually parents & DC.

Cleebope2 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:52:15

I checked this in my union's conditions and it is classed as close family, so are aunts and uncles. I only took a day for my granny and then a close aunt cos I thought I only got one day and it turned out that I could've taken 3 for each, which is what my cousin had done as a nurse.

WitchesHatRim Tue 05-Dec-17 19:05:52

@Cleebope2 is it paid though?

Cleebope2 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:07:07

Checked again and 3 days for grandparent, one for aunt but I am in NI but surely it's the same in the U.K.?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 05-Dec-17 19:08:28

Checked again and 3 days for grandparent, one for aunt but I am in NI but surely it's the same in the U.K.?

I don't think it is no. Although so don't have current paperwork so can't confirm.

Cleebope2 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:12:53

Well you can just google what you are entitled to in your local government website under teaching terms and conditions and leave of absence. I don't see why there would be a difference between NI and across the water on that one.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in