Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone who works in a private school pref recruiting help.

(30 Posts)
Cupofteaandatwirl Mon 27-Nov-17 19:09:49

No idea if anyone would be able to help with this but here goes
I don't work in the private sector. A job has come up in a private school that I want to apply for and it is well suited to me.
I dont want to go into the backstory, its long and complicated. My OH has a criminal conviction (last year) and the offence was sexual (not children).
I declared it to my workplace. I had a union rep in with me. My workplace kept me on and my union rep told me I was very lucky that they hadn't dismissed me outright.

My workplace said they wouldn't mention this in a reference if I applied for another job. But they and the union rep said I should declare if I applied to another school.

Would a private school even look at me or am I wasting my time? I am so frustrated that it's affecting me even though I haven't done anything wrong.
I don't really want to bring it all back up again and I don't want to go through the stress of applying if they won't even look at me. I don't know whether I should just wait it out a few more years. It's just that the job is potentially a good move for me.

Looneytune253 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:14:53

I’m guessing he’s not your OH anymore given the gravity of it? If not you don’t need to mention it and don’t need to give it another thought.

ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Mon 27-Nov-17 19:15:32

They will look at you but you will have to disclose it.

user071017 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:16:05

Presumably he's an ex now so just leave it

Ttbb Mon 27-Nov-17 19:16:12

If you've left him then why would you need to declare it? If you haven't left him then why not?

ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Mon 27-Nov-17 19:16:16

I am assuming that she is still with him.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 27-Nov-17 19:18:47

How are you responsible for another crime? X

ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Mon 27-Nov-17 19:22:10

If you live with someone be who has a crime that puts others st risk (murder, GBH, sexual etc) and you work with vulnerable people you have to declare it. New law that came in a couple of years ago.

Cupofteaandatwirl Mon 27-Nov-17 19:24:08

I havent left him.
Like I say it's a complicated story and I don't want to go into it. Obviously there are reasons why I haven't left. I don't need judgement for my decisions: I am not a fool.
MyDcAreMarvel guilt by association, apparently.
Thanks for thoughts. Not sure I can face rehashing it all tbh.

Cupofteaandatwirl Mon 27-Nov-17 19:25:14

Thanks ABCDE....

at what point do I NOT have to declare it?

PotteringAlong Mon 27-Nov-17 19:27:24

You will have to declare it, there's simply no way around it. I'd imagine that if they have lots of suitable candidates this will go against you.

shivermytimbers Mon 27-Nov-17 19:27:39

I think you'd probably end up having a nicer life, better career and less sense of shame and isolation (not that you should feel any) if you left him. Sorry, but I couldn't stay with anyone convicted of a sexual offence. There are much nicer men out there.

PotteringAlong Mon 27-Nov-17 19:28:25

At what point do I NOT have to declare it?

When you're not married or living together I think.

songbird84 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:29:50

Yes you’ll have to declare it.

It’ll affect your career long term.

I hope there are good reasons for standing by him.

Cupofteaandatwirl Mon 27-Nov-17 19:30:04

PotteringAlong even if after 5 years, he doesn't have to declare it to a future employer?

I know I work with vulnerable people but it seems unfair that I should have to declare in those circumstances if he doesn't.

PotteringAlong Mon 27-Nov-17 19:30:43

www.atl.org.uk/Images/adv79-disqualification-by-association.pdf

There is union guidance here.

Hollyandtheiveee Mon 27-Nov-17 19:34:18

I've just taken on a new teaching job and was asked to sign a declaration that no one in my household had committed any of the crimes mentioned above. It was once is been interviewed and offered the job and was part of the paperwork that came from the local authority (along with health declaration etc). As I signed it, I did wonder what would happen if someone was living with someone who had commuted these crimes.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 27-Nov-17 19:34:32

What age do you teach?

Cupofteaandatwirl Mon 27-Nov-17 19:35:23

PotteringAlong that is a useful document, thank you. However, the legislation in it does not actually apply in my case as it is regarding those who teach under fives or provide out of school hours care to under 8s, and i teach secondary

SunshineTheMonkey Mon 27-Nov-17 19:36:30

Yep, you'll always have to declare it as long as he lives with you.

Personally, I couldn't live with a sex offender regardless of the circumstances but each to their own I guess.

wannabestressfree Mon 27-Nov-17 19:39:51

I am a secondary teacher and you have to declare it at my school- offences committed by anyone in your household.
You should have to..... you work with children. I am finding it hard to muster any sympathy to be honest.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 27-Nov-17 20:14:52

“You do what you must do, and pay for it. So in the end all things are simple.”

I love that Ellis Peters quotation. It’s a reminder that we make the choices we make but can’t then expect to avoid the consequences of those choices.

IsabellaDMC Mon 27-Nov-17 23:06:36

I'm not sure you have to declare it once it is classed as spent. School application forms often say 'including any spent convictions' but I'm reasonably sure that isn't legal. You need proper legal advice.

PotteringAlong Tue 28-Nov-17 07:56:53

I think education might be an exception to that law and you DO have to declare spent convictions but, I confess, I've never really paid much attention to that part of the application form because I didn't have anything to declare.

I think your best bet OP is to contact your union and ask for their advice.

Cupofteaandatwirl Tue 28-Nov-17 20:55:59

Thanks, I was in touch with my union originally but they were a little vague about my position because the legislation is ambiguous in terms of the age group I teach.

I possibly didn't make it clear in my original post, but I wasn't suggesting I wouldn't declare it. I understand that I should do that. Really what I want to know is the likelihood of a (private) school simply automatically binning my application because of it or whether they would still interview/consider me.

In any case I've decided not to apply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: