Talk

Advanced search

Subject mentor

(9 Posts)
Carebear1357 Wed 22-Nov-17 20:34:53

Hi. I'm a subject mentor and my PGCE student has an observation with her university mentor in a few weeks. The UM has asked me to do a joint observation. Is this normal? I feel the UM might be checking up on my observation feedback skills. I'm not sure.

Should I let her write the officIal obs notes and I can just write my own notes so I can help with feedback? I don't want to be judged as I feel I'm doing a good job. Should I let the UM lead the feedback with the student?

Thanks.

MsJaneAusten Wed 22-Nov-17 20:43:21

It’s normal. The student will have been told it is you who is being observed, not him or her. It’s to check that the observations you are making are accurate - as they will ultimately decide whether the student passes or fails the course.

It’s nothing to worry about though. They’re designed to be supportive experiences. There’s normally a chance for you to talk to the mentor before (to discuss how the student is getting on), then the observation, then a talk about how you think it went, then joint feedback.

Bobbybobbins Wed 22-Nov-17 20:53:57

This is totally normal and I would complete a normal feedback sheet.

Carebear1357 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:07:07

Oh so I am being checked up on. Not sure I like the sound of that. I hope I do ok!! As long as the UM doesn't undermine me in front of the student I don't mind too much.

MsJaneAusten Wed 22-Nov-17 21:09:51

They won’t undermine you; it’s not in anyone’s interest for you to do that. It’s all quality control.

Carebear1357 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:10:43

On the same token at least I know the process because no one has told me anything. Very disorganised. Thanks for the help.

Carebear1357 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:12:58

Yes msjaneausten, the UM did mention standardisation. I think I'm doing an ok job. I think I'm balanced with the positives and negatives and I give appropriate and attainable targets.

MsJaneAusten Wed 22-Nov-17 21:48:24

Honestly, don’t worry about it. The UM is doing their job and you’re doing yours. See it as a good experience and a chance to see what someone else would comment on in a lesson.

physicskate Sun 26-Nov-17 10:30:58

It’s a chance for the um to see what you think about the student, having seen the same thing. You may pick up different talking points, but it’s quite helpful to see the same person and lesson through someone else’s eyes.

Ask the student what they want you to be looking for so the um can also be aware of the targets the student is trying to achieve during the lesson.

Standard practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now