Talk

Advanced search

Teaching part time

(22 Posts)
user071017 Sun 19-Nov-17 08:02:45

So having resigned from my job (0.7 but I have to go in every day hmm) I have now been shortlisted for a 0.6 of three actual block days. I'm on the fence, quit teaching all together or (if I got offered it) giving it a whirl. But part timers, do you actually work part time?

My 0.7 now I'm in every day and still work weekends. If I got the jobshare, I know I'd still have to do a bit at home but do you feel like you can shut off for part of the week? I felt so strongly about jacking teaching in last week.

Wait4nothing Sun 19-Nov-17 08:08:41

Think I may have read your previous thread - well done for leaving - they were taking the p!
I work 3 days - when I’m there I do long days and it’s hard to jobshare but I do a few hours a week at home (at most!)
I hope you find a good balance

Passthebiscuit Sun 19-Nov-17 08:13:49

I went from FT to p/t. If you can get the days in a row it helps- I do tue thur fri but would prefer in a row. I check and reply to emails each night to keep me up to speed . In a school, p/t defiantly can be tricky but you will find your own way !

PotteringAlong Sun 19-Nov-17 08:17:01

I'm 0.6. I made a deal with myself when I went part time that I wouldn't work on my days off and, in the main, I stick to it. I work 3 full days and work long days. I work in the evenings on those days and one at the weekend.

I haven't been doing days in a row but that's changing after Christmas and I have a block of 3 days so we will see how it works!

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 19-Nov-17 08:28:16

I work 3 days in a row, wed, Thurs, fri in year 3. I work through break, lunch and after-school to get marking and quick jobs done and use my ppa to do joint jobs with my jobshare (we're lucky and get half a day ppa together on a Wednesday afternoon). I'm in school from 8-4 (sometimes 4:30 although that's rare) then I work Monday at home while my son is at school doing planning and prep. The rest of the week I only check emails and don't do anything else. My weekends are always kept school free for family time.

I think pt can work well but you have to be really organised and strict with yourself.

user071017 Sun 19-Nov-17 09:27:25

Yes it would be Monday Tuesday Wednesday if I got it

castasp Sun 19-Nov-17 09:34:31

I'd go for it. I work 0.6 in a really nice school, where management are really conscious of workloads, and I do very little work outside my actual teaching days.

The very fact that they are offering 3 full days is a hopeful sign that it might actually be a nice school to work in, where the management actually think about the well-being of the staff.

user071017 Sun 19-Nov-17 09:42:41

Yes you're right, worst that can happen is im not successful at interview. I'll try it.

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Sun 19-Nov-17 09:51:51

I work 3 full days - Mon, Tues, Wed. I make sure that I use my time wisely on these days, so working most of my lunch and really cracking on after school, not much chatting etc. I also use Weds night at home to try and get everything tied up. So DS goes to bed and I then sit downstairs with my laptop. It’s tough because by Weds I am tired but knowing that working late on Weds frees up the rest of my week makes it easier. I then don’t need to do much until I’m back on Mon morning, unless we have a visit/parents evening etc.

I’ve found it to be just the right balance, although it does depend on how you and your jobshare work together too.

Good luck for the interview!

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sun 19-Nov-17 10:22:55

I worked Mon-Wed in my last school. Those days were very long and certainly helped me increase my productivity! I got most of what I had to do done at school in order to keep the rest of the days free!

SuperPug Sun 19-Nov-17 10:30:24

Got to have a supportive HOD and SLT.
Be very insistent on the number of sets and other commitments you can take on. Don't waiver from that.

user071017 Sun 19-Nov-17 10:57:28

Do you split number of reports with the job share 40%/60%?

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 19-Nov-17 11:30:35

Yes 40/60% split for everything, reports, staff meetings, assessments, planning. For insets I attend the percentage I work so I work 0.6 so must attend 3 out of 5 of them.

Changerofname987654321 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:43:22

I am 0.6 secondary teacher and proportional I do more than 0.6.

I have to do the same number of detentions, CPD projects, writing of lessons for the department, after school clubs, read and responding to a million emails, break duties etc as full time staff. I also don’t have my own classroom so I spend my time running around School.

I have just started to track how many hours a week I work but I spend one day a week at home working and Saturday mornings. The trade of being in theory I should not have to work on a night time and I am around for my family.

user071017 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:36:15

Ah sorry to hear that. I am in private Primary so quite different

user071017 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:10:02

I got the job!! And for going down from 0.7 to 0.6 (three actual days with 20% ppa) I'm earning more money!! My fte salary is 8 grand more!!!

Lucycat Thu 30-Nov-17 15:43:54

Wow well done! And £8k more for fewer hours - another wow! How does that work? Not a state school I take it?

castasp Thu 30-Nov-17 16:22:30

Well done! Hope all goes well with the job!

SweetSummerchild Thu 30-Nov-17 17:00:26

Congratulations! I hope this new role gives you a better work/life balance. Being a working parent is fantastic when it 'works' for you and hideous when it doesn't.

user071017 Thu 30-Nov-17 17:07:56

No moving from a private to another private but my current one follows LA pay scales so moving into independent scales. From 35-43k fte so it's really nice to be paid a good reflection of the work involved.

user071017 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:14:14

I'm in London so not sure this differs across the U.K. But I'll give it a go

GeorgeTheHamster Thu 30-Nov-17 20:37:39

That's brilliant!

Remember you might need to pay more towards your pension from your bigger salary if you are no longer a member of the Teachers Pension Scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now