Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of looking for a TA job

(5 Posts)
friendlessme Thu 16-Nov-17 06:30:43

I used to be a primary teacher. I don’t want to go back to it but wondering what working as a TA would be like. Has anyone done this? Would I find it difficult being in a classroom but not being the teacher or would it be some of the fun bits without the added stress? I just want a job I can leave and not have to worry about until the next day. I know it is crap pay and still hard work.

OP’s posts: |
HowsAboutACuppa Thu 16-Nov-17 06:36:22

My friend (teacher) works as an HLTA and covers classes so gets to do the good bit (teaching) without the crap bit (everything else) so she still has a teaching role effectively, the pay is dreadful though - and the school is getting a VERY good deal out of it!

Wilburissomepig Sat 18-Nov-17 13:49:25

I'm a cover supervisor (was a TA) and love it. It's mostly behaviour management half the time but I feel like I get the good bits without the shit that goes with teaching. The pay is appalling though and I barely get time to go for a pee as I usually cover all registrations and all lessons as well as doing interventions in lunchtimes. My school certainly get their pound of flesh.

Coconut0il Sat 18-Nov-17 21:20:31

If you can manage on the money then go for it. I've been a TA for about 10 years now, I'd never go back to being a class teacher.

friendlessme Sun 19-Nov-17 09:04:56

Thanks for your replies - the money is a definite con but I’m so sick of the pressure of teaching. And feeling like a performing monkey all the time!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in