Talk

Advanced search

Is it time the staffroom nolonger appeared in active?

(81 Posts)
Changerofname987654321 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:20:20

Inspired by previous threads. Are there any teachers or ex teachers out there who think MN should stop the Staffroom from appearing in active thread? Positive and negative responses please.

When we get some responses we can I/we can report the thread to MN and ask them to look into it.

noblegiraffe Wed 08-Nov-17 08:51:25

I think if it didn't appear in Active, most teachers wouldn't even ever find it (who expects a teacher sub-forum on a parenting site?).

I think it would be weird. Teachers don't need a 'safe space', it seems a bit snowflakey.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 08-Nov-17 08:53:02

I agree with noblegiraffe.

SweetSummerchild Wed 08-Nov-17 09:39:23

As a soon-to-be-ex-teacher, I have absolutely no problems discussing teaching issues with the wider world.

AuntieStella Wed 08-Nov-17 09:42:45

I am an MNer, and so think there should be an open debate before changing how a topic is handled,, for that impacts in the whole of MN.

What are the reasons for wanting to remove this topic from Active?

Changerofname987654321 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:18:14

I was just wondering what others opinions on.

I thought it might be a good idea because lots of chats recently are being derailed by non teachers giving straw man arguments.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 08-Nov-17 18:21:34

I don't mean to sound snarky but if that's an issue go on TES.

What about new users who are teachers they wouldn't find it? What about a new user who was thinking of being a teacher they wouldn't find it?

DumbledoresApprentice Wed 08-Nov-17 18:23:52

I don’t see any reason to remove it from active. I know you get non-teachers coming on occasionally but it doesn’t really bother me.

NannyOggsKnickers Wed 08-Nov-17 18:24:57

Auntie the issue was a poster who posted in Staffroom to have a bit of a moan about teaching and then fitness piled on my lots of teacher bashing.

I’d expect it in AIBU. But if someone is posting in the Staffroom then they’re obviously looking for some support/venting.

I wouldn’t go to the Littertray and start slagging off cat oweners.

NannyOggsKnickers Wed 08-Nov-17 18:25:39

got not fitness!

Fffion Wed 08-Nov-17 19:36:07

It should stay in Active.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Wed 08-Nov-17 19:41:15

I’m not a teacher. But it’s been bloody useful reading through and seeing the ‘teachers side’ of things. I’d hope my relationship with the school has improved as a result.

If it wasn’t in active, I’d not see it.

elephantoverthehill Wed 08-Nov-17 19:42:08

I think it should stay where it is. I think it is useful for parents to be able to see what issues teachers may be discussing. And perhaps to question. In another scenario if I had a friend going through say IVF I would want to look at those threads to gain a better understanding of the issues.

Changerofname987654321 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:55:41

Looks like I misjudged the situation. Thanks for your comments.

Piggywaspushed Wed 08-Nov-17 20:43:59

Didn't even know what that Active bit meant til now!!

As a teacher I embrace new learning so thank you!

I agree threads have been derailed although many teachers like a good debate <,cough..*noblegiraffe*...cough>

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 08-Nov-17 20:46:24

Not a teacher. Reading teachers' points of view helps to stop me being one of those parents....

noblegiraffe Wed 08-Nov-17 20:50:09

I have no idea what you mean, Piggy!

blush

toffeepumpkins Wed 08-Nov-17 21:57:00

I'm not a teacher either but I work in a related field. It doesn't bother me because I don't say anything that I'd want to avoid parents reading.

Orangealien Wed 08-Nov-17 22:01:47

I'm not a teacher but like to see it in active
Perhaps it should have a note at the top in red (like the MH disclaimer note that appears) saying "please don't type random generic insults before considering the teacher's situation or POV" but obv worded a lot better than that

CatAfterCat Wed 08-Nov-17 22:04:59

Also not a teacher but have a DC who is teacher training so interested in issues. You don't have to go via active - I just bookmark topics I like.

Uokbing Thu 09-Nov-17 09:39:04

Yes, keep it in Active. Removing it just perpetuates the stereotype of teachers being special snowflakes who are above any criticism. We are just as professional as anyone else thanks.

BlessYourCottonSocks Thu 09-Nov-17 21:47:53

I'm not bothered about it being in active. I understand what you're saying about some posters being GFs and slagging off teachers, and it is irritating in the 'staffroom' bit - but frankly I just tend to mentally shrug and think, 'Wanker. You know fuck all about the job'.

Doomhutch Thu 09-Nov-17 22:08:44

It never occoured to me that people look at "active" until now!

I'd prefer it wasn't, as it does seem to derail some topics. But I think it's a daft idea having active topics anyway.

noblegiraffe Thu 09-Nov-17 22:16:27

How do you all read MN if not through Active?

WeAllHaveWings Thu 09-Nov-17 22:19:21

I don't mean to sound snarky but if that's an issue go on TES.

^ this

There are places for teachers to chat away from parents eyes and views. This is a parents forum if you don’t want a broad range of views from parents you might be better posting on a teaching forum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now