Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to get school experience

(6 Posts)
LadyLance Mon 06-Nov-17 07:06:07

I'm looking to apply for a Secondary PGCE in Biology for 2018 entry. I have lots of experience working with teenagers in my current job, but I'm struggling to find schools that will allow me to come in and observe/get my initial school experience- most unis require 10 days as a minimum. Many of the local schools I have emailed have said internal issues mean they aren't offering work experience at the moment.

I have a few contacts who may hopefully be able to help me, but I wondered if anyone had any advice. Due to my current job it is difficult for me to ring schools during the day, so I am having to arrange everything via email.

Changerofname987654321 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:21:00

Do you know any teachers? Ask them. I would also aske for a week only and then do a week in two schools. This will be better for you and it is less pressure on the School.

Cynderella Mon 06-Nov-17 21:59:00

Yes, keep going. Do bear in mind that teachers are swamped with emails. You may get further with a lunchtime phone call.

LadyLance Tue 07-Nov-17 08:24:11

I know a few former teachers, and one of them was able to provide me with a contact, but that school aren't able to provide work experience right now due to internal issues.

I would be happy to just do a few days at a couple of schools, so I will make this clear in future emails.

Unfortunately, it's pretty rare at work for me to get the type of break where I could go to my car and make private phone calls, but if I can I will try to call instead. I totally understand that while this is important to me, it's not really a high priority for teachers.

Fffion Tue 07-Nov-17 17:56:14

What area are you in Lady?

Goldrill Tue 07-Nov-17 19:10:47

Have you tried the Get into teaching website (or whatever it's called! ) - the government one? They can help you find schools who will take people.
Might be worth also speaking to whichever course provider you're thinking of applying to as they may accept a lot less than two weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now