Talk

Advanced search

Let's have a positive thread! I had a good day today because.......

(19 Posts)
fatowl Wed 01-Nov-17 14:03:20

I have a Y9 class that is pretty disinterested in everything. Not badly behaved but just disengaged and passive.
We are doing a module about Dystopian fiction, and we were looking at common themes in plot summaries of well known dystopian fiction.
Ended up talking about The Handmaid's Tale and how it is now back on the US Best Sellers list.
After the class, one of the girls came and asked if I had a copy of The Handmaid's Tale she could borrow as she wanted to read it.

grin To hell with my LO, I engaged a single, previously disinterested, 14 year old girl today.

Balfe Wed 01-Nov-17 17:30:07

A little Syrian refugee wrote his name!

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 01-Nov-17 20:34:52

Still half term here. That's pretty good. smile

I was expecting this year to be massively challenging and we're still doing kind of ok so far. That's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Dauphinoise Wed 01-Nov-17 20:40:01

My 4 yr old DS's teacher excitedly told me he's a little clever clogs and showed me a picture he'd done... he'd drawn a bear, wrote the words "leg" "head" and "nose" and drew arrows from each word pointing to the correct part of the body these words corresponded to - all off his own back with zero help.

Super proud

I'm not usually a braggy mum, but as this is a positive thread I can gloat here grin

headintheproverbial Wed 01-Nov-17 21:10:29

I know pointing this out makes me a complete twatbadger, but OP, 'disinterested' means unbiased or neutral. I think you meant to use 'uninterested'.

BringOnTheScience Wed 01-Nov-17 22:01:10

I gave some CPD sessions to primary teachers before 1/2 term. Got the feedback comments today.... They all loved it :-)

YogiYoni Wed 01-Nov-17 23:22:24

I got the look today. You know the one. They use it in all the teaching adverts as if it happens every day.

Slightly open mouthed, wide eyed, excited - when something just ‘clicks’

All the crap is worth it when that happens grin

fatowl Wed 01-Nov-17 23:42:25

blush Proverbial
I was always taught the two were synonymous, but it would appear I'm wrong.
You learn something every day!

paperdreams16 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:01:17

I'm a trainee in a very difficult class. Since September I've struggled through my lessons, doing everything I can think of to earn their respect, often to no avail. I've gone home in tears a few times thinking I can't do it.

Well this week it's started to really click. smile I'm certainly getting there and have actually managed to start focusing on my teaching as opposed to just behaviour managing all. the. time. Today was the first day where I was able to get the most difficult and disruptive of children back in their chairs with just 'the look' and I managed to teach a full English lesson without any major behaviours at all. Small victories, but it feels good!

dibbleanddobble Fri 03-Nov-17 19:56:12

Two of my ASD children stood up in assembly and read beautifully and confidently. We were so proud of them.

As a mummy my reception age ds has not needed his pants changing in school all week.... Whoop!

LaceandChintz Fri 03-Nov-17 20:26:48

A parent in my class emailed the head “In praise of LaceandChintz” I am the TA and just started at this school in September. It has absolutely made my day smile

superram Fri 03-Nov-17 20:31:57

I’ve had possibly my worst week in teaching in 18 years, almost resigned and my own kids are struggling as I don’t spend enough time with them. However, on the whole my classes are good and my as test results were much better than I thought!

happystory Fri 03-Nov-17 20:35:28

After the first half term of a new child crying practically all morning (EYFS) today she painted a picture, climbed on the climbing frame and made tea in the home corner smile

MrsKnightley Fri 03-Nov-17 20:36:02

In my area we finish school now at 1.15 on. Friday.

ChipsForSupper Fri 03-Nov-17 23:30:57

So many things went wrong this week and required so much time and effort that I literally did not have time to prepare two of my lessons today so I grabbed some photocopied resources and hoped for the best. Friday afternoon. We did some quiet reading, we talked about what we had all done in half-term, we played a bit of hangman - it was simply lovely.

Cakesprinkles Fri 03-Nov-17 23:41:17

The head was really complimentary about a charity event i organised before half term because we got a lovely thank you letter from the charity we fundraised for thanking us. She’s asked me to feedback to the children in assembly on Monday which is nice smile my year 9 lesson was good, we’re teaching my favourite topic of all and they’re a lovely class. My gcse group came in at lunchtime and brought me some haribo and we did some extra work just because they wanted to 😇 AND I got an extra free because a class were on a school trip, so I hid in my classroom so I didn’t get nabbed to do extra cover grin

user71017 Tue 07-Nov-17 06:21:31

I handed in my resignation. I'm leaving teaching gringringrin

PinkPuffin Tue 07-Nov-17 19:41:55

I had a (much-needed) pacey lesson with year 10 and a similar one with year 13, then a wonderful lesson with year 7 top set and a nice and calm lesson with my KS4 bottom set. Then supported a struggling trainee and have just got positive feedback on some HWK I shared from the HoD. Good stuff all around have also had wine .

EvilTwins Tue 07-Nov-17 19:49:36

I teach a full time 6th form course in a theatre. Today was a good day because all of the students were really focused (we have a show on Thursday) and also it was one girl's 18th birthday and everyone was lovely to her all day, and then her mum ordered pizza for everyone because we were rehearsing til 7pm.

I left full time teaching in a school last summer to set up the business I now run (which delivers 6th form performing arts courses in theatres) and I am so happy I did. I still get to teach (and 6th form was always my favourite bit of the job) but I am away from all the shitty school politics. And because every single one of my students really really wants to be there, they are the most ridiculously focused and committed group. I LOVE it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now