Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1 yr contract but not paid in the summer

(10 Posts)
BingBongSong Tue 31-Oct-17 20:32:18

I was wondering if this is the norm? Am currently doing a maternity cover for this academic year, and I will be employed until the last day of the summer term.

My contract is for the duration of the first day of the autumn term to the last day of the summer term (private school, early July finish). In effect, they are not planning on paying me for July and August although I will have worked for the full academic year.

Is it worth taking up with HR? I am really enjoying the school and hope there will be a vacancy (looking unlikely at this point). But it just seems so unfair!

trinity0097 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:04:26

It’s not a one year contract though, it’s a maternity cover which is different. I suspect the teacher will return at that point.

Inkandbone Tue 31-Oct-17 21:06:39

It is unfair, but yes, its the way it goes.

Whinesalot Tue 31-Oct-17 21:07:35

I went back to work for the last week of term after my maternity cover - which meant that I got paid for that week and the whole summer holiday. It was fantastic timing for me - not so much for my cover though, which I never thought of until now.

PotteringAlong Tue 31-Oct-17 21:08:04

I agree, you're contracted until they don't need you any more. Which is the middle of July. It's not a one year contract.

Inkandbone Tue 31-Oct-17 21:08:47

Not your fault whine.

They wouldn't have paid the cover anyway.

It sucks for you though, OP, I know.

CotswoldStrife Tue 31-Oct-17 21:14:50

I think what whine describes is pretty standard for teachers - return the week before the break to get the break paid so it also means that the maternity cover ends to match that date. Sorry OP, but it likely that you had a contract with either fixed dates or a clause which said that your post ended when the mat leaver returned. I can see why you would think it was harsh, though.

seven201 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:15:02

That’s normal I’m afraid.

CarrieBlue Tue 31-Oct-17 21:19:07

As a ml returner you don’t have to go back the week before to get paid in the holidays. I ended my ml first day of holidays and got paid at the end of July (for the week or so of July) then full month of August. I also went pt from start of Sept so pt pay didn’t happen until end of sept. Sorry OP but it is pretty standard not to get paid holidays if on maternity cover

BingBongSong Tue 31-Oct-17 21:37:37

Ah, ok thank you everyone. I've done a few maternity covers before this one, and I guess I was fortunate in that I was paid for the full 12 months until now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now