Talk

Advanced search

I want out - supply?

(8 Posts)
HarrassedMumof3 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:25:05

I’ve had enough. I’ve been teaching for 11 years, I love the job and the kids but I can’t do it anymore. I’m currently working for a MAT and the way it operates is utterly vile.
I need out.
Currently I’m thinking that I’ll hand my notice in at Christmas and leave in April.
My plan is to do supply for the foreseeable future - I’ve no experience of this but I’m wondering how much work there is at the moment? I teach English in the North. Any idea whether I would be likely to get continual work, and on what sort of pay?

BlessYourCottonSocks Mon 30-Oct-17 21:33:12

I last did supply about 6 years ago and it was getting thin on the ground (I'm in the North - History and English). I worked pretty much only for one school who knew me and generally picked up about 3 days a week, providing I was prepared to do anything, so I once taught full time triple science for a year (gulp). I was getting paid on M6 (despite actually being UPS3) which I could live with - but I did find out in my last year there (of about 4) that I was the only person on supply being paid to scale. Everyone else was coming through an agency and getting paid peanuts (about £90 a day) whereas I was on about £150 at the time, I think. With Academies blooming they are pretty much only after 'CS' - and will take qualified teachers and pay at CS rates. Sorry to be gloomy. Hope you find something.

(I'm also fed up with horrific workload at the moment, but at least work in a 'good' school)

LindyHemming Mon 30-Oct-17 21:51:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Inkandbone Mon 30-Oct-17 21:52:25

Supply is really shit. I wouldn't.

HarrassedMumof3 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:53:31

Thanks for your replies.
My kids are at school so I couldn’t move at the moment.
There’s a teacher on supply in my dept at the moment at the top of UPS, who says he’s had constant work - but I don’t know if this is common.
I’ve read that rates in other parts of the country are poor though.

ohreallyohreallyoh Tue 31-Oct-17 11:44:27

I got out on supply. I am Secondary trained but also have primary experience. I am also a shortage subject teacher. There is work but lots of it is down to luck. If you need a full time salary to pay the bills it's not for you. There are supply groups on Facebook that are helpful.

EdithSitwell Tue 31-Oct-17 19:52:13

Even if you worked every day, it wouldn't be a living wage. I was able to leave and do a little supply only because I had another source of income.

juliej00ls Tue 31-Oct-17 21:20:46

My friend an English teacher has gone part time 2days....and is making up the rest of her money by tutoring and supply, Im not sure it's the safest move finically but she looks 10 years younger. She even does supply in our school. She is however paid in M6 rather than UPS 3 for supply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: