Talk

Advanced search

....I can't go back...please help

(12 Posts)
onanotherday Sun 29-Oct-17 11:49:31

just that...started an academy in September...taught 20 years but have come out if a marriage of DV and DS struggling ablnd with CAHMS..huge debt...but the wall before end of term..now on AD's..not ready to go back but can't do without money and if I'm off longer will be awful to fax going back as only teacher to teach my A level.

onanotherday Sun 29-Oct-17 12:13:09

..sorry for typos!!

noblegiraffe Sun 29-Oct-17 12:18:23

Go to your GP tomorrow. Have you just been put on ADs? Don't they take some time to start working properly? If you are signed off for a few weeks that might give you the space you need to go back.

It's unfortunate that you are the only teacher to teach your A-level, but you have to prioritise yourself at the moment. It's your school's job to deal with your class and there are people there paid lots of money to do that job. They will be able to deal with it better if they know for sure that you will be off for a few weeks rather than you drag yourself in, go off sick and so on.

bellabelly Sun 29-Oct-17 12:28:36

You know better than we do what you can cope with but I did just want to say that I really loved being the only teacher for my A level subject last year. No more having to liaise / negotiate with colleagues about who wants to teach which bits. No more having to trust someone else's judgement about how well they had covered any part of the syllabus. In my opinion, it was much better. However, worth mentioning that it was a small class and I loved teaching them. Might have been different with a big class of unmotivated students! Hope your ADs work well for you in time.

onanotherday Sun 29-Oct-17 13:15:21

Thank you ..yes I love my subject but that's only half of my timetable..the rest is very stressful. If I get signed off how long would I get paid for? This is ridiculous I just can't seem to get a grip.

noblegiraffe Sun 29-Oct-17 13:25:39

As your school is an academy they don’t have to follow the Burgundy Book so you’ll need to check their sick pay policy.

If you have already been prescribed ADs and feel like you can’t cope with work, you need to see your doctor. Struggling in when you’re not well won’t help you get better.

onanotherday Sun 29-Oct-17 14:01:52

Thank you. Will go back to GP.

FlameOutTeacher Sun 29-Oct-17 19:01:44

How rational and humane are they?

If there are decent human beings in management talk to them and tell them you are having difficulty but that you don't want to not be there for A-Level. They may take some junior classes off you so you can focus on sixth form. They probably have a supply teacher or unqualified teachers if it's an Academy - someone who could take on a junior class.

BlessYourCottonSocks Mon 30-Oct-17 21:40:07

I second noble's advice. Go back to your GP - you need to focus on your health for your own sake and that of your DCs. Teaching is hideous if you are struggling with ill health and stress.

Hope you feel better soon.

BritInUS1 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:41:39

You need to read your contract regarding pay, you should get SSP at least, but that doesn't kick in for 3 days

onanotherday Tue 31-Oct-17 16:43:38

Thank you, yes I have taken another week. waiting to hear from school where I stand on leave and pay. Never had time off in 20 years and not I need it I might not get pay due to academy status..sucks

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 31-Oct-17 21:34:35

It does indeed, but honestly - put your mental health first. With a bit of space and time to breathe you can hopefully begin to focus on getting stronger. It sounds like you've had a hideous amount to cope with. Well done on getting out of an awful marriage! You and DS need time to readjust and cope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now