Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want to be a teacher, but I need to work.

(21 Posts)
LegallyBronde Wed 25-Oct-17 19:35:45

Title says it all really smile I'm currently in my second year of an OU degree and I want to teach in secondary schools eventually. I work full time at the moment and it's getting increasingly difficult to complete the work, do my own job and have a bit of a life.

I've been looking at TA posistions as I'm currently doing 45+ hour week and I am hoping a TA role will give me experience and a better work/life balance whilst I complete my studies but they all want experience?! I can't quit my job, the bills need to be paid so I can't pop in a few hours a day and volunteer. My holiday entitlement is spent in half term, with my DC so I can't do it then either sad. Does anyone have any wisdom please?

toomuchicecream Wed 25-Oct-17 19:44:37

Just apply anyway, citing the experience you have via your own DCs. What's the worst that can happen?

Could you squeeze some volunteer work in somewhere (second time I've suggested it this evening) ie youth club or similar so that although you don't have experience in school, you can show you have experience of dealing with teenagers?

LegallyBronde Wed 25-Oct-17 20:29:28

Thanks toomuchicecream I volunteer with my DS football club and could get references from that, it was a few years ago but I'm still friendly with some of the people involved. My time is limited at the moment as my study takes up so much time and any down time I want to spend with my family or catching up on job related admin.

I'm just so scared if the rejection blush

tissuesosoft Wed 25-Oct-17 20:32:36

You'll need to spend at least two weeks in a school setting prior to applying for a PGCE course as well. Can you apply for a school direct once you've completed your studies?

tissuesosoft Wed 25-Oct-17 20:35:10

Don't be scared of rejection! Have you looked at education supply agencies? They sometimes have long term cover or permanent job roles.
This site can be pretty good (you apply direct to schools)- link

LegallyBronde Wed 25-Oct-17 20:43:42

I know i should really just put myself out there, my current job requires a very thick skin but this is my dream so I'm nervous!

I need to feel the fear don't I? And brush up CV

RifRafia Wed 25-Oct-17 20:47:28

I work in HR for a schools multi academy trust. Most secondary schools are crying out for teachers, so please don’t be put off applying, lots of bursaries etc available too. Feel free to PM me smile

tissuesosoft Wed 25-Oct-17 20:47:32

Definitely brush up the CV- mention any times you have volunteered in a school.
I think it's amazing you want to pursue your dream. I've been teaching for nearly 10 years now

physicskate Wed 25-Oct-17 22:07:34

If you’re looking for work/life balance and feel that 45 hours a week is more than you’re willing to do, then it might be wise to reconsider teaching as a profession...

LegallyBronde Thu 26-Oct-17 07:09:16

physicskate I'm ok with working 45hrs a week, but with my OU studies at another 20ish hours a week I need balance whilst I finish my degree as I running on fumes right now grin

CarrieBlue Thu 26-Oct-17 08:20:55

Average secondary hours per week are about 55 hours, 60 for primary. You can expect at least that amount as a trainee/NQT. Teaching will not give you any sort of balance.

larrygrylls Thu 26-Oct-17 08:28:40

Teaching is tough and the pgce year and NQT year especially so.

However, if you are organised, honest with yourself about work (I.e don’t spend working time gossiping in the staff room) and not too much of a perfectionist, you can be a very good teacher and have a life,

Teachers with balanced lives are also a far better example to the pupils than perfectionist workaholics (and more fun, too) but you do need to find the right school etc.

CarrieBlue Thu 26-Oct-17 09:04:28

I really resent the comment about ‘gossiping in the staffroom’. Spending a few minutes talking with your colleagues does not ensure that the overwhelming workload is completed. I have found that colleagues who become friends form a far more supportive environment to work in.
Good luck OP, whatever you decide to do - I hope it works out for you.

larrygrylls Thu 26-Oct-17 09:19:08

Carrie,

Resent? Why on earth? It was not aimed at you or anyone in particular. Are you always so thin skinned.

I am thinking about certain colleagues who are always around 8AM until 8PM plus every day but seem to be unable to focus on marking/planning for any serious length of time. If they are enjoying that, it is fine for them; it is personal choice. However, to do that, and the say that you cannot cope with the work load is concerning.

Cakedoesntjudge Thu 26-Oct-17 09:23:45

I’d apply anyway - I think lots of jobs say they’re only open to people with experience to put people off applying but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be instantly counted out!

I have an interview tomorrow for a job that requires a minimum of a year’s experience in a similar role. I did a cover letter stating that although I lacked he practical experience, studying in a related field with the OU gave me x, y, and z as transferable skills and made me more than qualified for the position. I didn’t think I’d stand a chance but I always think it’s worth a try!!

Cynderella Thu 26-Oct-17 10:58:56

Look carefully at salary rates, and make sure you can afford to work as a TA. Often, a full time salary is quoted, and then you have to reduce that to 25 hours a week x 39 weeks a year.

LegallyBronde Thu 26-Oct-17 19:00:28

I can afford to take a pay cut, I would prefer full time hours but this is quite flexible.

Good luck in your interview cakesdontjudge smile

Cynderella Thu 26-Oct-17 19:11:57

If you can afford to work as a TA, and that's what you want to do, go for it. Apply for all vacancies that suit - we always find it difficult to appoint. Very few of our applicants have experience even though our ads always say it's preferred.

LegallyBronde Fri 27-Oct-17 16:03:54

Thank you all! [Flowers]

I have applied for a few teaching assistant roles and a couple of cover supervisor roles as well.

I will let you know how I get on! eeek.

LegallyBronde Fri 27-Oct-17 16:04:15

duh thanks

Tptbonus Sat 28-Oct-17 12:58:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now