Talk

Advanced search

Applying for a new job while on mat leave

(5 Posts)
Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Oct-17 20:22:34

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice and some perspectives perhaps.

I m currently on maternity leave but am employed in a promoted role in a secondary school.

I have been trying to get a job closer to Home as my commute is lengthy but have been unsuccessful unfortunately. Today however a post came up in my area in a School 15 minutes from home so it would be perfect. It would however mean completely moving authority.

Have anyone any experience of changing jobs during maternity leave? How realistic is it that I would be the job anyway really? My feminist side says I should get the job if I am the best candidate but how would it be viewed applying for a post I can’t fill until next June?

Also, does anyone know if there are issues moving between authorities in this situation?

Jobs don’t often come up in my area and a move would be hugely beneficial to my family so I feel I need to give it a go. I am very aware however that there might be issues.

I am in Scotland by the way.

Checkedstripes Mon 23-Oct-17 16:41:20

When my friend switched schools (start of mat leave) she was only allowed to claim statutory mat pay as her old school expected her to pay back any mat pay they gave her. New school wouldn't pay mat leave as she hadn't started there yet. She was changing between authorities as well.

Her new school knew she was pregnant and offered her the job anyway, so its clearly worth asking about!

Passmethecrisps Mon 23-Oct-17 17:05:32

That’s really interesting. Thanks. That is what worries me about moving authority at the moment - I can’t really afford to be doing without mat pay!

Checkedstripes Mon 23-Oct-17 17:34:12

I’m not sure that moving authority is actually your issue - it might be different in Scotland but here it’s a school to school issue, not authorities.

Passmethecrisps Mon 23-Oct-17 21:18:31

That is interesting. Thank you. I think I am going to go for it and then see what happens if I get it. I have nothing to lose but my self-esteem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now