Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD?

(6 Posts)
MayorGoodway Wed 18-Oct-17 08:02:06

Something has been bugging me for a few days and I need to have some other opinions...

I was on duty the other day with an older male colleague (50’s maybe but we are both middle leadership). SLT are being really hot on checking people are doing their duty atm and often just pop in to see who is there.
Our SLT member in charge of organising duties etc is homosexual (this is relevant, I promise).
I don’t know this colleague very well but we were having a giggle about how we would cover for each other is SLT come when one of us isn’t there/had forgotten to come etc.
Male staff member then says, ‘I’ll tell him you have woman’s problems’ at which I was a bit hmmbut then he said ‘he will understand, he probably has them himself’shock

I’m disgusted that this kind of homophobia is still a thing in our work place. Part of me thinks it’s just an attitude that many older generation have but the other part is outraged that this sort of out dated thinking is excused as being ‘just a generational thing’.
Also, thinking about it, I’m pretty sure that is same member of staff made a similar comment about a student last year who has a sensitive personality and has more female friends than male etc.
So what do I do? I’m pretty new to the school (been teaching 10 years though) so I’m not that keen to rock the boat but I just can’t let it go surely.... WWYD?

MrsOverTheRoad Wed 18-Oct-17 08:26:56

You should have said something. You could report him..and why not? It's people letting homophobia and sexism and racism slide that ensures people like him get away with it.

Bobbiepin Wed 18-Oct-17 08:49:47

Yeah that's pretty shitty. If you don't wanna rock the boat big time just bring it up with him, say you found it offensive and would appreciate if he didn't speak like that about your periods (he's an adult, WTF are ^women's problems??^) or about other members of staff. If it happens again go to his line manager.

cdtaylornats Wed 18-Oct-17 08:58:28

That should go well Colleage X and I were discussing how to full the SLT into thinking we were working when he said something I deemed homophobic.

MayorGoodway Wed 18-Oct-17 09:11:25

Cd are you a teacher? If so, are you really telling us you have never in your career forgotten a duty? Not even if you had to deal with a crying kid, a fight, another member of staff .... or god forbid, needed a wee?!

Bobbiepin Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:06

@mayor if they genuinely think you spell 'fool' as 'full' then I would hope not a teacher!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now