Talk

Advanced search

Scottish teachers - talk to me about tracking!

(5 Posts)
Babypythagorus Sat 14-Oct-17 12:43:18

I know, what an exciting life I lead to be posting this at the start of the October hols...

I've recently moved to Scotland, and am trying to get my head round tracking in the cfe. What do you track? What data do you put in, and how regularly? What do you think is useful and what isn't? Is it worth the time it takes you? And how do you track progress within cfe levels, e.g. Moving through the second level in p5, 6 and 7?

Thanks!!

OP’s posts: |
Balfe Sat 14-Oct-17 12:49:28

We track reading, writing, talking and listening, numeracy. Believe it's an LA requirement? We basically just score them achieving above level, achieving expected level, not achieving expected level. We do that termly with SMT. P1, P4 and P7 levels are sent off to the LA in June.

Of course every school has a different method and tracks differently with different assessments, so it's not really a terribly valuable exercise.

One of our cluster schools had HMI in recently and were told their children actually hadn't achieved the levels they had assessed them at.

Having said that, I am dreading these standardised assessments.

Babypythagorus Sat 14-Oct-17 13:10:45

Thanks. So you would potentially put in the same level for a kid for a few years, and not stress that it wasn't demonstrating any progress? When you say you do it with SMT - do you sit in a 121 meeting, look at work together, or just chat?

Thank you! It's so useful to get a picture of what others are doing.

Balfe Sat 14-Oct-17 13:31:37

Yes. There's nothing else you can do- they can't achieve a level every year.

Progress would be demonstrated by increasingly complex pieces of writing/ number work etc. We have a 1-2-1 meeting with SMT with reference to work or assessments if necessary.

Did you come from down south? It'll be completely different I take it grin

Babypythagorus Sat 14-Oct-17 15:11:49

Yup - London. Completely different, yes! I had thought I was starting to get my head round it until an inspector asked me yesterday how our tracking demonstrated progress within cfe levels. I thought education svotland were saying not to do this, so was baffled. Your LA don't seem to worry about it either, so maybe it was just this one inspector? Sigh!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in