We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old to get into teaching?

(7 Posts)
CatBingo Wed 11-Oct-17 15:28:51

I am wondering about getting into teaching. Have been a TA for 7 years and am 45 years old. I need something more challenging than the role I am currently in. Want to do Reception / KS1.

Have I missed the boat?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 11-Oct-17 15:32:18

No actual advice, but I’d certainly hope not!

MadeinBelfast Wed 11-Oct-17 15:51:20

No, there are plenty of people who train to teach after having a different career. It's especially common in secondary as having worked in a particular area can be a real benefit if it links to the subject you end up teaching.
It is hard work and tiring (especially crawling around with little ones) but you know what to expect if you've spent time in the classroom already. Go for it!

Missdread Wed 11-Oct-17 17:39:36

Go for it! You've potentially got a 20-year career in you! You have oodles of experience already if you're a TA. Good luck!

FlameOutTeacher Thu 12-Oct-17 21:33:02

I would think very carefully about going into it at this stage. But then my username should tell you I'm not going to be an unbiased poster.

But you're probably not too old if you're in good physical health. Just don't underestimate what the classroom teachers are doing behind the scenes. That's the killer - the non-teaching workload on top of the full day of teaching.

BlessYourCottonSocks Thu 12-Oct-17 21:43:09

Not enough information to judge. I wouldn't condemn anyone as 'too old', particularly as you are a spring chicken compared to me. What I would say is:-

Do you have 3 A levels (2 year course)?
A degree (3 year course)?

Because that's what you need to get onto a PGCE to train as a teacher. Obviously, if you don't currently have a degree you are looking at £9,000 a year tuition fees, etc so it's an expensive thing to do nowadays. Your TA experience should help greatly, as I understand Primary PGCEs are very competitive to get onto, but my advice would be to think carefully about how long it will take you to qualify and whether you are prepared to put the hours in.

Teaching is pretty hideous these days. I'm a Secondary HoD and work around 60 hours a week in term time, sometimes more.

Today, as an example I was out the house by 7.00am, taught 5 lessons, ran a lunch club, ran an hour after school GCSE intervention class, got home at 6.00pm and have since spent 3 hours marking A Level essays. I'm buggered now; spending half an hour on Mumsnet and going to bed! I'm told Primary can be worse smile

ProperLavs Thu 12-Oct-17 21:46:53

No you’re not too old but teaching is a hideous career choice atm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now