Talk

Advanced search

Phonics help

(10 Posts)
falandb Thu 05-Oct-17 07:29:33

I have an interview for a teaching assistant post (am already level 3 qualified) and have been asked to teach a small group phonics for a 15 minute session. I have asked what phase phonics the group are learning and was told “We aren’t giving any applicant that information.” I basically show up teach the session then have formal interview etc.
So the point of my post is - can anyone suggest any short activities that I could do with a small group of year two children?

MrsKCastle Thu 05-Oct-17 07:36:20

Huh? How can you possibly plan for a group without knowing what they've already covered? Ridiculous.

OK, well if they're being like that I would look at the Y2 English curriculum and choose something from there, maybe y making igh at the end of words (fry/cry/apply) or c making s sound in ice/cycle/city etc.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 05-Oct-17 07:37:40

I have used little objects in the past.. So a toy fried egg and the children have to match it to the e, toy tree t etc

wobblywonderwoman Thu 05-Oct-17 07:38:25

Sorry - that was for initial stages. Apologies - didn't read post.

SingingSeuss Thu 05-Oct-17 07:39:43

Maybe part of the test is to see how you assess where they're up to?

SparklingBollox Thu 05-Oct-17 07:49:37

Tricky word bingo?
At least then you can print off some resources that fit each phase and be prepared for anything.

falandb Thu 05-Oct-17 08:03:25

Thanks everyone.
I was a bit “huh” too when they said no. I am also spending an hour in that class and a KS2 class so requested the planning and was again told no as they want to see how I support the children and teacher, which is great but I could probably support them better if I knew what they were actually doing in the lesson.

Dolceandgabbana14 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:44:17

If they're that obstructive, would toy really want to work there?!

disappearingninepatch Thu 05-Oct-17 20:58:06

What D&G said. ^

BewareOfDragons Thu 05-Oct-17 21:00:54

They sound a bit up themselves, tbh. The point is even a working interview should be a learning opportunity for the children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now