Talk

Advanced search

Interview help please

(5 Posts)
simples7 Wed 27-Sep-17 14:24:02

Hi,

Not sure if this the right place to post this but I am looking for some advice! I have secured an interview and I have to teach two lessons lasting 15 minutes each. I'll be teaching a Reception class.

First is a phonics session and I'm thinking a quick I Spy game with a selection of real objects to gage what sounds they know, then moving onto a game with a sound robot where each child receives a sound and feeds the robot and finally getting a puppet out to do some sound talking.

Second is a shape, space and measure activity of my choice with a small group of EAL children. I'm thinking of a shape hunt with a shape spotter (shape cut out of card to help with recognition) and then a shape sorting game in a tuff spot where children find a shape and feed it to a monster. Obviously I will be doing a lot of language reinforcement for this group.

What do you think?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Vic98765 Wed 27-Sep-17 15:06:40

I'm thinking if you don't know by now after your degree and teaching placements it's going to be really tough.

What i would say though, is make sure you have time to finish what you are doing - otherwise the kids will be left wondering and the interview panel won;t see everything you;re capable of.

Take stickers as rewards and make sure everyone gets on at the end, whether they join in or not.

noblegiraffe Wed 27-Sep-17 15:12:15

I don't know when your interview is but my DD has just started Reception and they've not even started phonics yet. You might find that with a huge range in their level of exposure to phonics, your I spy game might last the whole frustrating 15 minutes, or be completely dominated by a couple of kids who know everything while the rest know nothing.

ohnowhatcanido Wed 27-Sep-17 19:13:33

I think that's too much for a 15 minute phonic session.

They will have possibly started the SATIP sounds, but like a PP said, you will have a huge range. Some will know all those sounds and more and be able to blend. Some still won't know any.
I would focus on SATIP and use sound buttons to identify different sounds in CVC words. Some will only identify the sounds, some will be able to blend. You could ask the LA to think of a word or find something around the room that starts with the same initial sound. That could work. Just remember they are tiny at this stage and don't get much done at all!

Shape hunt sounds good. Talk too about HOW they know it is a certain shape and not another. That will get (hopefully) some good vocab out and would give you some nice snippets for recording in their learning journals. You won't be doing that, but you would if you were teaching for real so demonstrate it.

I assume this is a teaching role not a TA role? Are you still studying?

ohnowhatcanido Wed 27-Sep-17 19:14:14

SATPIN not SATIP!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in