We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shit day work stories

(105 Posts)
BeauMirchoff Tue 26-Sep-17 17:42:29

I have had a really shit day at work. Spilled coffee on my lap and burned myself, my y11 behaved like idiots (which actually made me think - what's the point of all this? They don't want to learn!) and I had a really unpleasant conversation with a parent.
Misery likes company so...tell me about your shit day!

noblegiraffe Tue 26-Sep-17 19:05:33

My Y9s were absolutely awful, it was like playing whack-a-mole. We have a new behaviour management system and it's shit, no use in actually managing their behaviour. Totally worn out by the end.

BeauMirchoff Tue 26-Sep-17 20:47:53

I do wonder sometimes...why bother? Only a few kids really want to learn. The rest just mess about sad

Littlewhistle Tue 26-Sep-17 20:59:38

Pishing down with rain all day so kids in class before school, morning break and lunchtime. Trip mid-morning to local place (I hate trips out and only went cos other class did and there would be complaints if we didn't). Woman at said trip place hadn't a clue - nothing organised - kids rushing around not listening to a bloody word, those whose parents were there as helpers were showing off in front of parents. Got soaked walking there and back..... and to crown all AF decided to pay me an unexpected visit at lunchtime sad

SagelyNodding Tue 26-Sep-17 21:04:00

Year 9 whack a mole made me laugh!

I got yelled at by a furious parent at 8am, for something which had nothing whatsoever to do with me... After that, same shit, different day!

PumpkinPie2016 Tue 26-Sep-17 22:09:57

I've not been feeling great yesterday and today due to a bug which hasn't helped anything but today I feel like I haven't stopped all day, Y10 completely did my head in - they are lazy and unmotivated at the moment!

I had break duty and after school meetings, a parent badgering me about wanting their child to move up a set (I'm a KS3 co-ordinator), first observation of the year was done today and I have a million and one things to do.

Aargh! Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

ohreallyohreallyoh Tue 26-Sep-17 22:54:14

Ah whack a mole. On supply in a hell hole at the moment, I just don't have enough hands to whack with!

RedDahlia Tue 26-Sep-17 22:59:46

From a Mum - thank you for all you do. It must be so bloody hard most of the time, but it’s you guys making a difference to our children and what they can do for their entire lifetime! I for one, am very grateful to have caring teachers educating my child.

wineflowers

DreamingofBrie Wed 27-Sep-17 01:11:53

The day hasn't been shit, but I am very tired and starting to feel as if the wheels are coming off. Teaching new spec GCSE and A-Level so lots and lots of planning and prep to do. Our new textbooks haven't arrived yet either, they were ordered in July!

Totally sympathise with Year 9 whack a mole. I had them after lunch today!

SandyBeachandtheDeckchairs Wed 27-Sep-17 06:39:33

My Y3 'challenging' boys are driving me demented! Whack a mole indeed!

Fwend Wed 27-Sep-17 06:41:36

We've got OFSTED in. Day 2 today. sad

fairyofallthings Wed 27-Sep-17 06:44:32

Good look Fwend.
I'm teaching that class all this week 😢

coolaschmoola Wed 27-Sep-17 06:44:49

Got told to fuck off and that my subject is shit, I'm shit, the college is fucking shit... The joys of FE!

DumbledoresApprentice Wed 27-Sep-17 06:48:37

Oh no Fwend! flowers Are they doing a second day because the judgement might go up or because it might go down?
The kids were fine yesterday but I've glt an awful cold at the minute, my voice is hanging on by a thread and I had to travel between sites twice yesterday (break and lunch) then had an hour and a half meeting after school.

showergel1 Wed 27-Sep-17 18:35:28

Ks1 made a absolute mess out of 'check our work' copying my writing, changing random letters etc. Took it along the channels to suggest it's too soon found for them, they don't understand etc. They've been doing it since last year.
I don't know how else to explain to the children that their work isn't good enough.

disappearingninepatch Wed 27-Sep-17 20:39:24

Okay, Fwend has won the thread.
I've had a lovely day on supply in my favourite school. Tomorrow will be shit, though.

Rosieposy4 Wed 27-Sep-17 20:48:45

Yes, Fwend has won, but i offer you up yesterday, not shit really just ridiculous
Arrive at work 8:05
Meeting 8:25-8:40
Tutees arrive 8:40, have them until 9
Teach lessons 1 and 2
Break duty, not close, have to leg it from classrrom
Teach lesson 3 and 4
Lunch time, A level subject clinic ( not optional for teachers really)
Eat cereal bar and satsuma while explaining concepts to students.
Teach lesson 5 and 6
Bladder nearly ready to burst as has not been emptied since 8:10am
Empty bladder, grab food ( 25 mins allowed)
Parents evening for the next 3 1/4 hours.

Always thought workhouses had been abolished 🤔
Leave work at 7:25 after thanking sixth form helpers ( bringers of coffee, important people).

elephantoverthehill Wed 27-Sep-17 20:50:09

Ofsted finished today. And relax. I was observed twice today. The first in the class I really wanted them to avoid, the second in quite a good group. I went to get the feedback - all is good in our dept. Except my command of English seems to have taken a nose dive.

SandyBeachandtheDeckchairs Wed 27-Sep-17 20:52:23

Sometimes i wonder whether the work we expect it too much. Is writing cursively in books what the average 7 year old should be doing? They can do it, but is it really the right direction? <sigh> yearns for the days of 'nature study' 'country dancing' and 'story time'.

WhyNotDuckie Wed 27-Sep-17 20:52:49

EYFS teacher here.

Literally had a 'shit' day. One of my class had an upset tummy......

calamityjam Wed 27-Sep-17 21:00:53

Watching with interest as I have finally decided to apply for PGCE early years.

Mistoffelees Wed 27-Sep-17 21:02:17

Another EYFS teacher... "Teacher, Sarah's got a little bit of poo in her pants" turned round and Sarah had pulled her skirt up and her pants down and the poo had fallen on the floor. envy (not envy!)

Mistoffelees Wed 27-Sep-17 21:03:22

It's all wee and poo at this time of year calamity!

headinhands Wed 27-Sep-17 21:05:07

It's not the kids making me feel I want to quit sad

noblegiraffe Wed 27-Sep-17 21:06:29

Oh god Duckie, bodily fluids is why I don't teach primary! Grim grim grim.

Today I had one of those behaviour incidents where when you start teaching can actually be quite upsetting, but by the time you're an old hand you just think 'oh FFS do you know how much paperwork you've just created for me?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now