Talk

Advanced search

Exit interview

(11 Posts)
goldenlilliesdaffodillies Fri 22-Sep-17 16:21:26

I am leaving a school at the end of term to go to another job. I have been told I have to have a "exit interview". I have taught in various schools and have never had one of these before. Is this a new thing and what does it involve? How honest should I be?!

cdtaylornats Fri 22-Sep-17 20:35:35

It's quite a common thing in most working environments. If something in the environment in the workplace is causing people to leave it makes sense to find out what is causing it.

Doomhutch Fri 22-Sep-17 20:49:59

I've not known it in teaching, but as cdtaylornats says it's pretty normal.

It's usually that they get a more honest picture of the workplace from someone leaving than from current staff! Obviously if a lot of people are leaving it can also be to find out what the problem is, or what's tempting them away.

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Sun 24-Sep-17 17:35:32

Thanks for your replies. A huge amount of teachers and admin staff have left after a new head started a couple of years ago.
If I gave my honest opinions, about why I was leaving, couldn't this affect future references if needed?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Sep-17 17:38:41

Yes the norm these days , be careful with it . A lot of people are so nice about leaving where I work , then you read exit interviews and it doesn’t match ! So if people wish to return it can be difficult.
Can’t affect a reference but if your industry is quite word of mouth which I imagine teaching is then it won’t help if you vent.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Sep-17 17:39:20

I think I need a red pen through that very long sentence grin

LemonRedwood Sun 24-Sep-17 18:44:20

You don't have to have one. They have to offer you one, but you are within your rights to say no thanks.

PotteringAlong Sun 24-Sep-17 18:45:30

Don't be honest! Tight lipped and smile all the way!

EnormousDormouse Sun 24-Sep-17 18:50:42

Yup say nothing! Be complimentary and waffle on about needing new challenges. You will gain nothing by being honest and it could bite you in the bum if the SLT choose to use it in anyway against you - the 'bush telegraph' is not to be underestimated and it is quite usual for heads to have informal chats about people being interviewed for positions.

Changerofname987654321 Sun 24-Sep-17 19:25:01

You don't have to have one. I would decline it.

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Fri 29-Sep-17 19:52:17

Good tips- thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: