Talk

Advanced search

When oh when will I get work?

(22 Posts)
Mangostrawberry Thu 21-Sep-17 17:55:20

(Supply teacher) By Christ, I am miserable waiting for the phone to ring.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?!

goeasyonthetonic Thu 21-Sep-17 18:01:46

After half term when teachers start suffering from illness and pressure is piling on

Mangostrawberry Thu 21-Sep-17 18:02:18

Oh, no, another 4 weeks or so? sad

leccybill Thu 21-Sep-17 20:06:13

We've got a few off on Y7 trips and a few at PM meetings.
Can hear and see the first coughs and colds around the staffroom too! Hope you're not waiting much longer.

Cynderella Fri 22-Sep-17 22:48:20

We can no longer afford supply.

Cover supervisors likely to be on their knees by Christmas, and forget about 'rarely cover' ...

BizzyFizzy Fri 22-Sep-17 22:55:52

I had a career break a couple of years ago and signed up with several supply agencies on my restart. I did get full time work for the first term doing two half terms of block supply (the full job for six weeks at two schools). Just before the October half term, I secure a permanent role, starting in January.

The first and only call I had about daily supply was mid November. However, I was inundated with calls offering me contract work - 20+ calls/emails a day.

I think you may need to reevaluate your career objectives. Is daily supply what you really want to do, or is block supply (e.g. Maternity), something that would work with you? Is your CV out there for agencies to pick up?

monkeysox Sat 23-Sep-17 16:52:02

I've had a day and a half so far. But I'm only available two days each week. It'll pick up. wine

grafittiartist Sat 23-Sep-17 16:54:22

Me too here- waiting by the phone. Nothing yet - but it's a bit early still.

MumBod Sat 23-Sep-17 16:55:00

Nothing doing here either.

Rosieposy4 Sun 24-Sep-17 20:23:13

We have had a supply in all last week in one department so fingers crossed for you.

leccybill Mon 25-Sep-17 18:39:52

We've got staff off sick this week, and a friend's school has staff just gone off on long term sick.
We had supply in today who said she'd had 1.5 days so far.

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 25-Sep-17 18:42:49

I'm desperately trying to recruit full time permenant teachers, not hire cover. I imagine that's true for a lot of people, I'd rather someone within my own school covered my department so they at east know the kids a bit, than use a supply teacher.

Mangostrawberry Mon 25-Sep-17 22:01:08

Had one measly day of cover supervisor work and it was naughty as it was my subject so ended up teaching! Sigh. Better than nothing I suppose.

MumBod Tue 26-Sep-17 08:24:52

Still nowt...

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 08:32:06

Nor here. It's a miserable existence, isn't it?

Wait4nothing Tue 26-Sep-17 09:16:14

Our (primary) school had supply in all week last week. We had a few teachers off (sickness bugs and the like). I think we’ve had supply in every week (some weeks every day) and we have plenty of in house cover too.

To the schedule I’m trying to recruit full time permanent - part time permanent is more likely to get some results (as a job share) and staff more likely to stay (as not burning out). May be a bit of a pain initially but a good long term solution (especially for working mums who make up most of the profession)

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 09:25:01

I am secondary and nada sad

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-Sep-17 10:33:36

Before I stopped doing it - it had gone from starting to pick up end-September to be "expect nowt till after October half term" and was veering towards November.

You're going to get page after page of "a nasty supply teacher ate all my gluesticks and left me with the pupils so we don't use them anymore" though.

MumBod Tue 26-Sep-17 10:48:11

I'm quite lucky, as I have another job (own business, still in infancy so doing supply for extra some income).

But yes, it is miserable. I'm not the world's biggest fan of uncertainty at the best of times.

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-Sep-17 10:52:47

The lulls are why I didn't return after the kids were born - reconcilling the need for childcare with the income that might not happen at certain points in the year didn't make financial sense.

Shame cos actually I bloody loved supply and I was really really flipping good at it! (Used to get asked back by name, chased around schools by other head teachers and all sorts).

It can partner up well with things like exam marking and home tutoring though - home tutoring kept us going during these quiet parts of term sometimes.

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 10:54:06

It was fine until DH lost his job! We now just have savings and a bit I am earning from tutoring.

SixWeeksOfSummer Tue 03-Oct-17 21:18:25

I'm Secondary too.

I was 'lucky' in that I had a month of work for September already booked up on the back of some supply I'd been doing for the same school in June/July by Christ it was a shit school though.

With that due to finish I was crapping myself that I wouldn't find anything else until after half term but I started at a different school on Monday and it looks like they want to keep me for a few weeks more.

By coincidence, on the drive home today I was thinking of starting a supply support thread. I've been doing supply for a year now and I've got so many stories to tell.

Anyway, that's me.
Mango have you had any luck yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now