Talk

Advanced search

I'm getting out. What can I do next?

(15 Posts)
ohshiz Wed 20-Sep-17 11:44:11

Life after teaching...what can I do? I have an undergrad English degree as well as my pgce. I have two young kids. I need flexibility for school runs. Ideally I can work from home/for myself.

Teaching has killed me for six years. I've tried three schools. Help.

hollytom Wed 20-Sep-17 13:48:31

No real ideas I am in the same boat I have been teaching for 8 years.
This is my second career thinking of going back and seeing if I can start again in that. Have you always been a teacher or have you got any other experience?
Good luck the way I'm feeling at the moment any job would be better.

ohshiz Wed 20-Sep-17 15:14:47

It's been my only main career yes aside from odd jobs at uni. I feel like because I'm in it I'm stuck in it iykwim.

BarbaraBitchFace Wed 20-Sep-17 15:25:00

Same here. As soon as I come up with a Plan B I'm gone. I just don't have a plan B!!!

hollytom Wed 20-Sep-17 15:52:08

This was meant to be my plan B now onto C!
I have looked at jobs with the council there are quite a few admin type roles to do with families and social care but the pay isn't great. I have also started looking at the civil service jobs website which I didn't know about until recently. They seem quite good on flexible working etc.
I really do not want to do anything to do with schools the thought is making me go cold.

ohshiz Wed 20-Sep-17 16:08:43

Same. Literally hate it. I've got the worst cold I've ever had (flu?) and that's in week 3 because they've run me into the ground overworked me

hollytom Wed 20-Sep-17 17:03:17

I think it's terrible that you look at the staffroom threads and they are all really bad and we are only in week 3. I am not sure if I can go in tomorrow I feel shaky and sick just thinking about it but not when I'm left alone with my lovely class.

ohshiz Wed 20-Sep-17 17:32:19

But obvs we all work 9-3 and have mega hols hmm

leccybill Wed 20-Sep-17 21:33:00

Was in a 'new staff' meeting today with our NQTs. On Inset and in week 1, they looked bright-eyed, glossy and full of enthusiasm.
Today, they all looked shattered, pale, spotty, and subdued.
The system has a lot to answer for.

I 'got out', did supply for two years, it was bliss. I'm back in now, needed the money sadly. Hating it already. So many bullshit expectations.

ohshiz Thu 21-Sep-17 07:37:36

Panic attack before I've even arrived. This. Is. Hell

MothratheMighty Thu 21-Sep-17 07:53:33

Identify which parts are the stressors first. Once you know the things you can't bear, then you can make a plan based on avoiding those things.

BarbaraBitchFace Thu 21-Sep-17 15:57:03

Would you consider a minimum wage job for a while until you can rethink and then possibly retrain?

CharlotteCollinsneeLucas Thu 21-Sep-17 23:36:27

I moved to a private school. Actually doing the job I love now rather than trying to fit it in around numerous stressors.

ohshiz Fri 22-Sep-17 07:37:06

I'm in a private school. A feeder to elite schools like Harrow and St. Paul's so the pressure is extreme

hollytom Fri 22-Sep-17 18:11:26

How are you feeling today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now