Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety about failing

(4 Posts)
BarbaraBitchFace Tue 19-Sep-17 14:51:13

Please help!

I had a horrible experience in a school, think bullying, being treated like a child, micro managed, constant negative feedback about everything from lesson observations down to being out 2 mins late for duty etc etc. I had a breakdown was off due to stress for several months . Fast forward several months I am now in a (seemingly) lovely school but I am so anxious about everything. I'm terrified of failing, of making mistakes of getting it wrong. I have had stomach pains every day since we've been back. There is no pressure from anyone at school, but its all self imposed or learned anxiety. I have to get over it because I'm worried I'll have a breakdown again or just walk out (which I simply can't afford to do!!)

I'm worried that my teaching career is over if I can't get a handle on the anxiety because it's never going to be a stress free environment!

Any advice please?

BingBongSong Tue 19-Sep-17 22:38:10

I had similar in my school last year. I was having constant dizzy spells in the 2nd term because I felt as if I was doing a terrible job.

Went to Doctor, who told me I needed to stop bringing work home (ha!) and learn to compartmentalise my work. He sympathised as his mum had also been a teacher.

I don't know quite what helped the change. There was some realisation that I could only do so much and the rest was up to the students. I think I also had very high expectations of the students and I had to be more realistic about their capabilities. I started to relax, and the dizzy spells went away.

I think, like you, the pressure was self-imposed (although there was also pressure from SLT). If the children couldn't do something I saw it as a personal failing, and I lost sight of the number who actually could do the work!

castasp Wed 20-Sep-17 17:55:48

I have been through exactly this - it is awful. I was bullied in a school, just like you were, then last year moved to a new school - doing a temporary maternity cover. It was the most laid-back easy going school I've ever taught in, but I was a bag of nerves for the whole of the first term - I felt sick with fear every day, lost almost a stone in weight (the only good thing about it!). I kept googling stuff on line and came across one website (blog?) where a bloke talked about how the only way to overcome a particular fear is to face it head on. He talked about just feeling the fear - which is what I started to do. I can remember standing in lessons and would actually focus on the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and I kept telling myself that this would one day pass - and eventually it did! It took most of the first term, and occasionally for the rest of the year I would have sudden nervous feelings.

I got a permanent job in yet another school this September and the nerves came back again with a vengeance BUT they've already pretty much disappeared. I think this time I've decided to trust everyone straight away - the people seem nice, so I'm going to assume that they ARE nice, whereas last year my brain just couldn't seem to accept that the people I worked with weren't bullies, even though all their behaviour suggested they obviously weren't!

BarbaraBitchFace Thu 21-Sep-17 15:54:32

Thank you for your responses. It's good to know I'm not alone. I am hopeful that it will get easier and easier as I realise that the other teachers and management aren't out to get me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now