Talk

Advanced search

Maths teacher- to become TA?

(3 Posts)
Mummyof2boys211 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:43:23

Has anyone gone from teacher to TA?
Is it easy? Did you enjoy it? In struggling as a mum and have no work life balance. I didnt have a good childhood and really want to make sure my children dont feel that way. Currently i just cannot give them the time they deserve.

Have spoken a lot about this with OH. He wants me to keep going for the money. I dont know how much worse off i will be? Or is it even possible?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
sophiazzz Tue 19-Sep-17 20:30:17

I did for a couple of years after I needed a change of pace. I'm a primary teacher and got a job as a primary TA4, so I was still doing some whole class teaching. If you can afford it, go for it! You get all the great things about teaching with hardly any of the downsides. The day is still relentless between 9 and 3:30, but then you get to home at 4 and forget all about work.

The big downside is the pay. I was on 19K per year, but that was pro-rata at 32.5 hours a week and 40 weeks a year. I was coming home with about £1000 after tax.

Other options are supply teaching, or teaching in a different setting. good luck

Coconut0il Tue 19-Sep-17 21:47:48

Agree with the above. I've done supply, no stress and higher pay than my current TA role but I never really felt part of a team. I've been a TA for 4 years now and love it but the biggest downside is the pay. I only work 15 hours at the moment as DS2 is only 2 but it works for our family.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in