Talk

Advanced search

Top Tips to survive part time

(5 Posts)
WeasleyWoman Mon 17-Jul-17 12:13:14

Very very excited that I have been allowed to go down to 3 days a week next year! I have a 1yr old and a 3yr and have worked fulltime this year, not really sure how I have done it. Am absolutely on my knees.
So next year I will work Wed, Thurs, Friday. I will job share with a more senior colleague (who is full time and will have a different class on the days I am in) and the other 2 teachers in the team are senior leadership. I desperately need top tips on how to make sure everything doesn't slide off their shoulders and on to mine. I love my school but it is very much do as I say not as I do leadership style - it is always the ones with an office, PPA and less teaching who miss their deadlines and ask you to do all their admin. Are there positive things I can do from the off to help? anyone have experience?
Its a special school so more of a primary model with me teaching the same class all day and being responsible for everything.

OP’s posts: |
WeasleyWoman Mon 17-Jul-17 18:31:43

Anyone?
Am hoping there are still one or two of you procrastinating on here instead of finishing your reports!

Smilingthru Mon 17-Jul-17 20:37:34

I'm 0.4 but non class based ATM. In September I'm 0.46 and back in class as a job share. I made it clear when I agreed to go back to class that it was a job share and not the majority job share. I'm getting PPA ever week (that's the 0.06 bit) and Iv told my Phase Leader I will be in for 1 and am leaving at 3:30 regardless of whether PPA is over.

Just be firm and tell them exactly what you will do and exactly what you want. It's hard but all of my team have supported me and all are planning to work similarly next year as a result (3other teachers in my team).

Hope that helps

WeasleyWoman Tue 18-Jul-17 20:50:41

Thank you. Its good to know it is doable.

MaisyPops Tue 18-Jul-17 20:53:30

From colleagues in secondary, it's very much ask leaders to give you deadlines in advance (which should really happen anyway), stick to your hours, don't let your mornings off end up being one long getting ready for work time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in