Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you're a TA, what do you do?

(12 Posts)
WhataHexIgotinto Fri 30-Jun-17 19:55:35

I have only ever worked in my present middle school so have nothing to compare with.

We have a new TA who says she didn't do half the things she has to do now, when she was in her old school. She's not complaining, she enjoys it, it was more an observation really.

For example, I go from lesson to lesson supporting different children with various needs, I deliver Read, Write Inc daily to a group of 12, I cover lessons occasionally, run guided reading groups, run a spelling group, mentor various children and run a social skills group.

I don't know any different, so wondered what other TA's get up to?!

Doraemon Fri 30-Jun-17 21:10:52

I am currently in Y2 as class TA.
I run small group and individual interventions (handwriting/fine motor, phonics booster etc), working with small groups during English/Maths, sometimes doing the input for the group, giving verbal feedback, marking maths/grammar/spelling during class, supporting individual children with specific needs or behaviour issues. Team teach trained, so occasionally have to restrain children.
Taking half the class for ICT, playground supervision, fetching the fruit and toast, sharpening pencils, filling water bottles, photocopying/guillotining/laminating/sticking in, general preparation of resources. Help with displays. Guided reading groups, phonics groups, reading and phonics assessments, benchmarking for reading books. Changing reading books. Help with marking test papers etc.
I also teach MFL but am paid on a higher rate for that.
I have also in the past done RWI, speech therapy interventions, SEAL interventions in Foundation stage and one-to-one support.

Hulababy Fri 30-Jun-17 21:11:54

What level TA is she?

WhataHexIgotinto Sat 01-Jul-17 04:06:41

Level 3, same as me. Sounds like Dora's day is pretty similar to mine.

Bedofwool Sat 01-Jul-17 07:29:51

Apart from MFL, Dora's day is the same as mine. Absolutely love it!

funmummy48 Sat 01-Jul-17 07:34:32

My days are the same as both of yours. I think the days of TAs doing minimal tasks is long gone. If the teacher is out for a half day, I have the whole class on my own too. 😬

OSETmum Sat 01-Jul-17 07:49:42

The same as doraemon but I don't teach MFL. I'm a level 2b but I don't do any less than a level 3 TA, I just don't get paid as much!

Doraemon Sat 01-Jul-17 13:35:01

I'm level 2.

Copperspot Sat 01-Jul-17 13:47:09

Currently a TA in y4. A normal day looks like

Taking line in from playground
Doing lunch register / taking payments / reminding kids to check their bags for lunch money, trip slips etc
Lining kids up and taking them into assembly

Use 20mins of assembly to photocopy / get books and resources on desks for first lesson
Check each tables pots have sharp pencils / rubbers / whiteboards

During lesson i support lowest ability table, plus generally keeping an eye on class behaviour etc. I mark my tables books during the last 10 mins when they do a carpet activity. Plus mark times tables / arithmetic papers / spellings etc if they have been done.

Playtime = duty 3 days a week. Either playground / toilets / first aid room.

2 nd lesson same as above, but i also have a half hour intervention group before lunch. So one day it's handwriting, one day maths / sulp / reading / etc.

Plus the constant behaviour management / water bottle dramas / general admin / weekly certificates / Updating iep files / logging test scores / handing out letters / messages to/from office / etc etc

Im not team teach trained so dont deal with that.

I bloody love my job!

GetTheGoodLookingGuy Sun 02-Jul-17 16:41:04

Y1 TA here.

I teach 4 interventions per week, which I plan myself.

Hear 15 readers (or sometimes more when the teacher won't be able to get through hers).

Teach RWI group (so basically planned for you, but I manage my resources, and have also set up small group activities for the children to do at the start of the session to try and plug gaps).

General printing/photocopying/laminating/cutting/sticking/marking tests/inputing data into computer/sorting out who needs reading certificates/finding lost jumpers/finding missing PE kits (usually on the owner's peg), First Aid for my class during lesson time (mostly nosebleeds at the moment)

1/2 lunch duty every day, and 15min break duty once a week.

Do separate CLIC (big maths) with bottom group in book corner whilst the teacher does CLIC for the rest of the class, 4 times a week.

Behaviour management during inputs, usually, as we have 1 child who needs a one-to-one but we can't afford it, and several others who bounce off him.

Work with a group during maths/english (not always bottom group - teacher and I rotate so we usually each work with each group once a week).

Year 4 next year, and expect it to be much the same.

user073795 Mon 03-Jul-17 21:17:22

Secondary core subject TA. My job consists of supporting statemented students in class, reading, encouraging, banging head on table, then run 2 intervention groups a week which I plan and one includes occupational therapy. Sometimes I take students out of class to work 1-1, general behaviour management, handing out equipment, tidying room after lesson.
Then I do admin work - ordering, photocopying, printing, laminating, board displays, arranging exams and termly tests, invigilating, after school tutoring. I love the variety and am lucky that I don't do any break or lunch duties

youarenotkiddingme Mon 03-Jul-17 21:36:03

I'm level 3 in a special school.

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure what I've done in a day other than I haven't stopped grin

Mostly I take small groups or the class of the teachers out, I complete assessment sheets, I take a group to an activities centre once a week (I LOVE this!).
I'm also responsible for behaviour is school and do all the team teach refreshers for staff as well as do initial training courses for county.
I dole out medications and I'm a first aider so can get called for cuts, falls and seizures.
I do personal care and lots of hoisting and positioning too.

I love my job despite education changing a lot recently and finding it very frustrating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now