Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

References

(4 Posts)
dinahmorris Mon 26-Jun-17 21:31:14

I am moving to a new school in September. I have found out that the reference provided by my current head was very poor - my new HoD described it as 'unprofessional on [the head's] part' and said I got the job 'despite the reference'. It was really unfair - claiming I was weak in the areas I am genuinely strong (obviously I know I have weaknesses, but the ones referenced are actually untrue.) My question is: what would you do? Just ignore, contact governors or what?

samlovesdilys Tue 27-Jun-17 20:49:23

You have the job...honestly I would just leave it...I guess you could and probably should go to governors but can you be bothered? With c.3 weeks to go? Just don't use them again.
I guess it depends how bad it is?? Negative or downright lies?? ...if it could stop career progression in new job then yes but a hassle....
Maybe speak to union?? They will give better advice I'm sure and may know if other instances...

dinahmorris Wed 28-Jun-17 00:03:59

Yeah, I think you are right. My new school obviously know it is untrue, or they wouldn't have flagged it with me (I never asked to see the reference) and I don't think it will affect career progression - they have given me multiple exam classes so they clearly aren't worried about my teaching ability. I think I will flag it with the union though, in case any future staff have similar issues which actually do prevent them getting jobs. I suppose I'm lucky that my new school were so surprised by the unprofessionalism that it came across as a bit suspect.

It was carefully written so there is nothing I can prove as lies. Just insinuations which the new school have already decided are unfounded. Personal attacks really. There was no mention of the positives (that I have data to back up) and I feel a bit stupid for continuing to go above and beyond at my current school.

samlovesdilys Thu 29-Jun-17 23:04:52

Sounds sensible! Just be glad you are OUT of there and count the days!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now