Talk

Advanced search

Teaching after Maternity Leave

(2 Posts)
HoneyWheeler Sun 25-Jun-17 11:33:27

Hi all,

I'm looking for some different perspectives, because I'm in a bit of a funk about teaching and not sure if hats useful for me right now!

I'm due to go on maternity leave in the middle of October, and have been working in an RI school for the last two years. It has been seriously the most challenging two years of my life and my mental health has never been worse! I absolutely love teaching and being around kids, but I don't find it rewarding enough at the moment to outweigh the long hours and constant negativity I get from our SLT.

I was hoping to come back part time after mat leave, but I am seriously considering leaving teaching. I'd love to hear from people who've gone back part time - is it easier to manage the workload? Is it more stressful? Have any of you left teaching, and if so, what did you do?

Just looking for advice really, feeling low and like the next four weeks will be interminable.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Alphvet Sun 25-Jun-17 12:59:49

I work in a challenging school. After mat leave went part time but for me I didn't really enjoy the time at home, I found the days long and we could do with the money. Next year going back full.

Rather than quitting, ask to go back part time. There a set amount of data you have to do unless you want to pay back some of your mat pay so it's definitely worth going back for a bit and then seeing how you feel.
That being said. I know some people that love their time at home and hated going back to work so you may fall into that category

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in