Talk

Advanced search

Early Years Teacher Training query

(6 Posts)
ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 13:00:47

Hi All, this is probably a silly question but I have looked online and just wanted to speak to some real people about it.
I was planning to do the Early Years Teacher Training after I complete my Early Childhood degree as I thought this meant you could be a nursery teacher at a state school, but it seems this isn't the case, and you can just be an EYT in some academies/free schools. If I wanted to be an Early Years teacher in a state primary, is the teacher training one generic one you do, no matter what age group you'll teach or is it dependent on EY/Primary/Secondary?
Thanks.

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 13:43:04

In my experience primary schools employ teachers who are qualified to teach across the whole primary age range. It gives them more flexibility with staffing.

ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 14:34:42

So teacher training is by age group? That's the bit I'm a bit confused about.

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 14:49:15

It depends on which teacher training route you take. Some are specific for early years, some cover the whole primary age range.

ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 20:20:17

Ok thanks for getting back

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 21:30:58

It's possible to do primary teacher training whilst based in a reception or nursery class. I was based in Reception for my own training many years ago, and have hosted several teachers doing PGCEs whilst a teacher in both nursery and reception.
I've been in Year 6 for the past 6 years (and love it!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: