Talk

Advanced search

Early Years Teacher Training query

(6 Posts)
ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 13:00:47

Hi All, this is probably a silly question but I have looked online and just wanted to speak to some real people about it.
I was planning to do the Early Years Teacher Training after I complete my Early Childhood degree as I thought this meant you could be a nursery teacher at a state school, but it seems this isn't the case, and you can just be an EYT in some academies/free schools. If I wanted to be an Early Years teacher in a state primary, is the teacher training one generic one you do, no matter what age group you'll teach or is it dependent on EY/Primary/Secondary?
Thanks.

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 13:43:04

In my experience primary schools employ teachers who are qualified to teach across the whole primary age range. It gives them more flexibility with staffing.

ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 14:34:42

So teacher training is by age group? That's the bit I'm a bit confused about.

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 14:49:15

It depends on which teacher training route you take. Some are specific for early years, some cover the whole primary age range.

ACubed Thu 22-Jun-17 20:20:17

Ok thanks for getting back

lamado Thu 22-Jun-17 21:30:58

It's possible to do primary teacher training whilst based in a reception or nursery class. I was based in Reception for my own training many years ago, and have hosted several teachers doing PGCEs whilst a teacher in both nursery and reception.
I've been in Year 6 for the past 6 years (and love it!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now