Talk

Advanced search

Hand hold please - end of tether reached

(8 Posts)
sarahC40 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:33:09

I'm not claiming to work any harder than my excellent colleagues and I do love the teaching, but I think I've finally reached the point of no return: full time in a heavy marking subject, with two tlrs (one pastoral and one curriculum) and this evening the most shitty conversation with a parent - so nastily critical. I have supportive (to a point) slt, but there is the attitude 'yes parents are just like that these days'. Something has got to to give as I am done in. 45, fat, depressed, and too bloody hot! Please give me perspective - not looking for a well done from anyone (certainly not getting one from that parent) just don't know what to do.

PickAChew Mon 19-Jun-17 23:35:22

It's the summer holidays in 5 weeks gin

SnickersWasAHorse Mon 19-Jun-17 23:36:44

4 more Mondays.

sarahC40 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:39:42

O you know what, I'm so bloody knackered I hadn't even though of that. Still knackered, still loathe today, but thanks. I'm normally a really positive person but even the head said (I like him) 'bet you're going home for some gin' so I think my sweaty red face said it all. I just have to talk myself into going in tomorrow now - thanks again.

Effic Mon 19-Jun-17 23:45:07

Repeat several 1000 times - I'm not here for the parents, I'm here for the kids. Think about the the last time a pupil has truly 'got it' - understood something or learnt something they would never have know if it wasn't for you - because you taught it to them. It has happened, you gave them a nugget of something that they will keep with them forever smile
Very few other jobs can achieve this! You matter and you count - your job is 110% a benefit to society. You are important x

Quadrangle Mon 19-Jun-17 23:55:48

I'm a parent and i can see that some of the other parents are awful too. Some people are just nasty pieces of work. They probably have quite sad lives as a result. It's no reflection on you, its them. Sorry you had to put up with it. Someone on the chat board started a thread earlier about how awful some of the other parents are to teachers. A Reception teacher in this case. Sorry about the nasty parent. flowers

Quadrangle Mon 19-Jun-17 23:57:15

PS. I check the Active Convo list, so that's how i saw this thread.

sarahC40 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:01:31

Dear mumsnetters thank you for reaching out. Didn't get much sleep last night and after a truly torrid day today, I think I've come to a decision....something has to give for the sake of me and my mental health. Sticking with teaching as I do believe it's what I'm born for, but adjustments are going to be made to make happier teaching more possible. There are days I'm very glad I stumbled on this forum and you helped. Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now