Talk

Advanced search

Part time TA, been offered more hours but no contract..

(10 Posts)
rainbowlou Wed 14-Jun-17 18:35:12

I have just started working part time in a primary school but desperately need more hours and was told if any other opportunities arise I'll be offered first.
Today I was asked if I would now work full time until the end of term, which I agreed to.
I mentioned that my contract was only for 15 hours so would I now need a new one but I was told I'll stay on the 15 hr contract and will have to claim over time for the rest of the hours.
I'm guessing this is so I'm not then paid for this hours during the summer break which I really could have done with!
I'll be claiming for 15 hours overtime a week, is there a limit to how often I can claim o/t and how much?
Really panicking now that I've made a wrong decision and I'll end up working elsewhere all summer to earn more money confused

Rainbowcolours1 Wed 14-Jun-17 19:11:23

No limit to how long you can claim overtime for but usually a limit as to how many hours you work in a week.

rainbowlou Wed 14-Jun-17 19:22:13

Oh ok thank you, I'll ask tomorrow xx

GreenTulips Wed 14-Jun-17 19:24:38

You are contracted 15 hours a week

The additional 15 are claimed as 'supply' these are not contracted hours and you won't be paid over the summer for them

You may get additional holiday paid

Supply is a zero hour contract in effect

Littlefish Wed 14-Jun-17 19:30:48

This is normal in schools, especially with only 6 weeks until the end of term. It's a temporary need.

SocksRock Wed 14-Jun-17 19:32:49

My local authority rolls up holiday pay for casual hours - you get 13% more on your hourly rate to cover the holiday allowance. Maybe see if this is what they do? I used to work as an invigilator for them. The advertised rate was £8.50/hour but we got paid £9.61/hour to cover the holiday.

GreenTulips Wed 14-Jun-17 19:41:55

We get 1 days pay for every 4 weeks/35 hours worked

hippyhippyshake Wed 14-Jun-17 19:45:29

Hourly paid TAs don't get paid through the holidays, their pay is just spread evenly over 12 months. Unless you are in a salaried position and get paid for 52 weeks I can't see how you would benefit from a changed contract. Maybe a few £ pension contributions but that's all. I could be wrong of course!

rainbowlou Wed 14-Jun-17 19:46:36

Thanks all..I guess I was just being a bit too hopeful they would change my contract to 'full time' until August 31st.

GreenTulips Wed 14-Jun-17 21:15:42

Well the school has a budget to uphold and any HT stupid enough to pay full time over the 6 weeks when they don't have too would be mad

It's no different to someone doing Saturday overtime and asking for it to be permanent

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: