Advanced search

Path to be Educational psychologist

(14 Posts)
Anne2300 Wed 31-May-17 10:31:34

Hi, I am wondering what would be the best path to become an educational psychologist? Previously I had been on a PGCE course but it wasn't for me (fine with 1:1 and small groups but couldn't manage big classes well). Currently I am working as an LSA supporting SEND children in a mainstream primary school, which is a field that I am most interested in.

As my first degree was only a 2:2 in Maths, should I take a postgraduate conversion course or do a new degree in psychology? I would like to continue working in schools during the day (perhaps going part-time). After looking at several courses it seems that the distance learning ones (Derby for conversion and OU for degree) are the most doable in terms of time and financial commitment. Which one is better? I have also checked a part time one at Birkbeck, but it is 4 years of 2-3 evenings a week it just doesn't seem doable with primary-aged children.

Rosieposy4 Thu 01-Jun-17 14:06:00

You need an undergraduate degree in psychology and a PhD in psychology. Used to have also have taught for i think it was a minimum of five years but pretty sure that bit is no longer the case

SheepAshwap Thu 01-Jun-17 14:08:23

I don't know about the contents of the Derby course, but the OU system is much, much better (I'm doing OU undergrad and friend did Derby conversion at same time).

PotteringAlong Thu 01-Jun-17 14:11:20

You will need a new degree in psychology. And a masters and then a PhD. You're looking at 7 years full time or a minimum of 14 years part time to qualify.

user1471134011 Thu 01-Jun-17 15:51:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bishybarnybee Thu 01-Jun-17 15:58:26

Do some serious research into employment prospects first.

My understanding is that there is a vast over supply of psychology graduates and not many jobs.

Given the huge changes and cutbacks in Education, that may be even more true for educational psychology.

Do not do this without major research into how current ed psychs feel about the future of the job. You could be investing a huge amount of time and money into something which may not be a realistic prospect.

rollonthesummer Thu 01-Jun-17 16:02:15

You'll need an undergraduate degree in psychology (3 years full time) and a doctorate-(my friend has just done this and did it in 3 years whilst working as well, though could have done 4/5 years if she'd needed more.

You used to need to teach for 2 years and then do a masters but they've changed it now.

Either way, you're looking at 6 years and substantial tuition fees!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:32:00

I second finding some Ed Psychs and talking to them about the job before proceeding. If you work for an LA you will have a huge caseload and I think they often feel that their job is about paperwork and tick boxes rather than children or supporting systemic improvement.

My friend is an amazing EP, but she has gone private so she can do they type of work she wants to do.

user1471134011 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:14:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anne2300 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:36:34

Many thanks. Sadly box-ticking is possibly the same for many public sector employees - worked in adult social care before and the social workers feel the same.

I like the OU BSc or Birkbeck's conversion with foundation year, think that they offer better training than an online 2 years conversion, but dh is a bit put off by the length.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 01-Jun-17 21:40:02

I did OU and I didn't have to do all the modules due to previous degree but there were compulsory modules. It was ace but it was before they put the fees up.

It's then a 3 year doctorate but uou need significant experience before applying.

farley123 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:41:24

Anne - there is a very active facebook group for prospective educational psychologists. You will find lots of useful information and advice on there. Here is the link

Teenageromance Mon 05-Jun-17 21:49:18

There is a lot of misinformation on here. You can do a masters conversion degree in psychology as you already have a degree. This could be done in a year full time (and you could probably combine it with some classroom work). Then you start applying for the educational psychology course doctorate and you are paid while
You train for this as you are out on placement while doing this. So in theory you could do it in 4 years with 3 of them paid.
The biggest difficulty will be getting on the course - it's hugely competitive so you will have to be very strategic about your work experience to make you stand out.

cantthinkofanythingwitty Tue 06-Jun-17 14:58:58

This may give you some other options too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: