Talk

Advanced search

Supply teaching

(7 Posts)
Scooby23 Fri 26-May-17 11:16:28

Thinking of stopping part time hours and moving to supply. Wondered if there is still work out there for supply teachers or if work has dried up with budget cuts. I'm an infant teacher. Thanks in advance.

toomuchicecream Fri 26-May-17 18:09:17

Where in the country. Plenty of supply work round here as there are so many vacancies schools can't fill.

mynotsoperfectlife Fri 26-May-17 18:09:49

Bear in mind that you don't get paid if you are ill, over the holidays, or contribute to your pension.

Tidypidy Fri 26-May-17 18:24:02

I supply at my children's school. Usually work about 4 days a month (can't do more as would lose careers allowance) but could do more. I love the flexibility and by only working in one school I know all the children.

Tidypidy Fri 26-May-17 18:25:02

Forgot to say my pension contributions are taken from my pay in the usual way. You can opt in or out.

Scooby23 Fri 26-May-17 20:06:59

Thank you for your replies. Will think carefully over half term xxx

SpareBedroom Sat 27-May-17 07:19:29

If you are paid directly by a school, you'll pay (and they'll pay) into your Teachers' Pension. If you work for an agency they might not. I work for an agency and they have us signed up to NEST instead, which isn't as good a pension. Best to check with people you know locally who do supply, if you can.
As to regularity of work, it depends where you are and what you're willing to do. I'm junior but will do Y2. I only do day-to-day but I'd get more work if I was willing to take on longer placements. I get 1-2 days a week, which together with some tutoring is enough as I was in a 2 day a week jobshare before and it's a MUCH better quality of life. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now