Talk

Advanced search

Beside myself

(28 Posts)
CandODad Tue 23-May-17 20:17:10

So I qualified last year and to suit family life the intention was for me to do supply. In October I went into a school and never left but continual work with the same class. They have supported me through two terms of my nqt and I job came up. I never banked on it being me but more and more people were convinced. Well today was the big day and at the end of it all, all of the candidates were turned down to find "someone stronger"
I feel sick. Good enough to cover it would seem but not good enough to be staff.

That's it really. I just needed to rant.

BubbleBed Tue 23-May-17 20:18:24

Oh thats awful :-( did they give you any other feedback? Are they keeping you as cover?

IPokeBadgers Tue 23-May-17 20:21:46

Sorry to hear this, i fucking hate it when employers do this. Keep your eye out for something else.....you don't owe them any loyalty now.

CandODad Tue 23-May-17 20:25:03

Happy for me to stay for the rest of the year (or maybe till they find "that" person, who knows) The felt that my lesson could have had more class talk as well as the elements it had which is kinda of impossible in thirty minutes with a full class and that I contradicted myself in an answer on continual assessment.

This is despite there having been any issues with this from observations etc.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 23-May-17 20:36:20

What a pile of shit. Someone stronger than you who already knows the class, the logistics, the parents, etc? Go back to them and ask them what the hell else they expected. Your experience is much more valuable.

AnthonyPandy Tue 23-May-17 20:51:11

Finish what you need to get your most or whatever it's called then move on. Don't feel obliged to stay there to suit them.

noblegiraffe Tue 23-May-17 21:11:14

Either they've got someone else in mind and want you out of the picture or they're total fucking idiots who think strong teachers will be milling around waiting for their job advert after the resignation deadline who didn't apply this time.
If it's the second, then when they desperately ask you to continue covering in September because no one came along, I'd tell them where to go.

CandODad Tue 23-May-17 21:26:16

I know they don't have anyone in mind. The Deputy is my mentor and was on the interview panel and came to find me after the Head had broken the news, he was livid and looked broken himself. People have been telling me all year but I have only just realised that the chair of governors really doesn't seem to have a scooby doo.

noblegiraffe Tue 23-May-17 21:34:39

Fucking idiot then. Apart from anything else, recruitment is really expensive and schools aren't made of money. I hope the day comes when he realises what a spectacular twat he was to turn you down.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Tue 23-May-17 21:36:59

The joy of supply teaching is you are not forced to stay. It is so rare to get a good ht. I'm glad you have support from the deputy. But what a kick in the teeth. Praise in teaching is so rare these days.

OddBoots Tue 23-May-17 21:37:17

What is the chair of governors doing being involved in the appointment of teachers? That isn't part of the strategic role. Are they normally so involved in the day-to-day running?

rollonthesummer Tue 23-May-17 21:38:08

So they haven't employed anyone?! What do they plan to do?

UrsulaPandress Tue 23-May-17 21:38:22

That's so sad.

CandODad Tue 23-May-17 22:04:37

Oddboots - the chair was on the interview panel. Although she is far FAR to involved in the general day to day and "volunteers" in a classroom two days a week.

CandODad Tue 23-May-17 22:07:14

Rollonthesummer - the plan is to put the advert out again and look for a "strong candidate" although the only other teacher that applied that wasn't an NQT seemed very odd in the extreme so I hate to see what they didn't interview.

rollonthesummer Wed 24-May-17 07:02:56

They must have more money than most if they can afford to keep advertising!

Blinkyblink Wed 24-May-17 07:08:45

It's disappointing but seriously, these responses. It's the adult equivalent of having a toddler tantrums "it's not fucking fair waaaaahhh".

You didn't get the job. If I were you I'd be disappointed but I'd be proving them for more information as to why.

This is more work and time for the school. The easiest thing would have been to have selected you. But they didn't. Instead of wailing how unfair it is, I would be analysing their reasons more closely.

sashh Wed 24-May-17 07:21:35

You might be too expensive as they would have to pay your agency to 'release' you.

Don't be surprised if you are contacted over the summer.

QGMum Wed 24-May-17 12:57:05

You need to ask for feedback as to why.

It sounds to me like they may be considering the overall make-up of the staff and feel they need to increase the number of more experienced teachers rather than appoint an NQT. It sounds like they really rate you highly but you aren't the right fit to fill a gap they have in the overall make up of the staff.

MiaowTheCat Wed 24-May-17 16:20:07

Sounds to me like they've just worked out what finders fee they'll have to pay to the agency if they take you on.

I've been there though and it absolutely kills you.

CandODad Wed 24-May-17 19:19:48

Blinkyblink. Did I say it was unfair? No I don't think I did. Did I say I just wanted to rant in a neutral environment? I think I did. So kindly take you comments and pop them up your backside. The trolls exit is is the same way you came in.

Thanks everyone else. I had a productive chat today with the Deputy.

Twinklyfaerieglade Wed 24-May-17 19:41:36

What has happened is very unfair. My experience is that in building my career I experienced that a number of times. Every time I learned. Sometimes I wasn't what was wanted, sometimes there was an idiot on the interview panel, sometimes it's just Sod's law.
As someone who eventually got pretty much the top job, they are idiots. If I had someone who could do the job, yes I often had to put them through an interview process, often rigorous. However I alway made sure the performers in the role got the job.
In the end you will be fine, they might not.

CandODad Wed 24-May-17 20:58:22

Thanks all. 24 hours on I feel less raw. I appreciate the majority of you having a friendly ear.

junebirthdaygirl Fri 26-May-17 08:25:06

Wow op l would not like a teacher of my dc to speak to anyone like you just did. Very crude . While l have sympathy for you about the job l think that shows a strange side for a teacber. I am.a teacher myself by the way.

YorkshireTree Fri 26-May-17 21:04:17

Ok june

Because teachers must be sweetness and light at all times. hmm

You would have had a blue fit if you were ever a fly on the wall in my old English department office. Crude hardly covers it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now