Talk

Advanced search

Parents working in school

(16 Posts)
Schoolquery2017 Tue 23-May-17 16:27:07

Our son's school appears to be employing solely parents to work as TAs / one to one support. I'm not keen as confidentially isn't kept leading to lots of gossip at the school gate. Am I being unreasonable?

ItsAYesFromMe Tue 23-May-17 16:40:13

I know schools have to pay to advertise jobs in Green Sheets and so they often advertise locally to save money and of course the parents will apply as they can take and collect their children and only work term time.
What sort of stuff is being said?

SuburbanRhonda Tue 23-May-17 16:42:23

All school staff - including volunteers - are taught about confidentiality when they start.

If you hear or have heard any staff member sharing confidential information about a child, please report it to the head.

Schoolquery2017 Tue 23-May-17 16:55:43

That's interesting about the confidentiality, is it a formal agreement, a legal requirement? It's general chat about who does what on the playground and academic ability, haven't heard anything about our boy (yet) and it's nothing major but does t sit right with me.

ItsAYesFromMe Tue 23-May-17 17:05:13

Are they discussing it with other parents who also work at the school?
There's no problem with that as they would both be bound by the same confidentiality rules if it's a private conversation but if it's within earshot of other parents then that's not ok.

Bedofwool Tue 23-May-17 17:07:57

I am a TA at my children's school. The confidentiality is part of the contract and stipulations of the job. We do not talk about children outside of the school environment and then only to the relevant people. We may have a moan in the staff room if the children are acting up (ie this week leading up to half term!) but never in the hearing of any children and definitely not in earshot of parents. Quite unprofessional!
I would speak to the head or deputy and they can then have a general awareness chat about confidentiality.

Schoolquery2017 Tue 23-May-17 17:10:58

They are chatting to their friends, who predictably chat to their friends and so on... Glad to hear this isn't the norm.

ItsAYesFromMe Tue 23-May-17 17:11:19

At my school, one of the parents saw something confidential and then told the parent of that child.
The child's parent then asked me about it (as I work with that year group) and I had to deny all knowledge. I can't discuss anything that goes on at school with parents, they have to speak to the teacher.
Obviously if its something good like a child has handed in great homework or mastered a tricky maths lesson they've been struggling with I can tell the parent they've had a great day but if their child has had a fight or done something wrong, then the teacher deals with it.
The TA should know this.

Bedofwool Tue 23-May-17 17:18:49

I will also add that the confidentiality also covers volunteers as well. If parents come in to help read or so, they still must adhere to it. No talking about the children's ability. This will have been explained to them right at the start.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 23-May-17 18:20:12

Please report to the head.

Schoolquery2017 Tue 23-May-17 18:44:25

Thanks everyone, I will have a word tomorrow. perhaps the correct procedures aren't in place.

Wolfiefan Tue 23-May-17 18:46:08

It depends what they are saying. Telling the parent of a child they work with that they did great in gymnastics is very different to gossiping about misbehaving or academic achievement.

Angelreid14 Tue 23-May-17 18:48:45

You are not being unfair it would definitely come with certain bias and judgementsee its human nature.

lamado Tue 23-May-17 18:58:53

If they're talking to the parent of the child then that's fine, nothing wrong with saying X did well in maths today, or he was playing with Y & Z at playtime. If she's talking about other children then that's not ok.

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 23-May-17 19:53:14

They definitely should not be talking about anything to do with school activities, individual pupils, etc. Of course, it doesn't mean that rogue unprofessional people don't exist. I know of a case locally where a preschool assistant told lots of gossipy mums which person had reported one of them to social services (for genuine and very concerning reasons). Nothing was done about it.

HectorHedgehog Fri 26-May-17 20:37:48

My son had a 1 to 1 who was a parent in another year. She was absolutely brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now