Talk

Advanced search

Interview Monday - need to teach 'British Values'

(7 Posts)
Piggywaspushed Fri 19-May-17 07:16:27

Help please!
I have an SLT 'assessment day' (!) on Monday and need to teach a KS3 (year group unspecified...) 40 min PSHE lesson which needs to be based around British Values. I want to do tolerance and possibly homophobia (might teach them about Alan Turing). So, I'm not after an actual idea as such but some thoughts on activities and tasks observers might be looking for.

I haven't taught PSHE for over 20 years! I have led many many assemblies but they, by their nature, deal with the topics but have no activities.

Any ideas for what would work in an interview lesson, given there could be 30 kids I have never met and they could be 11/12 or 13/ 14??

I tend to overcomplicate these things...

fourcorneredcircle Fri 19-May-17 08:39:59

For God's sake don't tell the kids to google ISIS beheadings ... actually happened last time we interviewed for a head...

I think it's probably easiest to do something on democracy- allows for class voting, discussion of contentious points, opposing views and focus your planing around getting that in.

I'm not sure on homophobia being a good choice of topic - not because it's not worthy but because it, like other contentious topics children are nervous to say the "wrong" thing - especially in front of both a stranger (you) AND observing SLT members. Never mind their peers.

Might make it hard for you to get a proper discussion going.

Piggywaspushed Fri 19-May-17 09:38:29

Ah, OK. I am Stonewall trained so am OK with homophobia. I was going for why it's not nice to say Gay more than anything and some generalised horror at how we in the UK used to treat gay people, specifically Alan Turing, so nothing too contentious!

Yes, I once traumatised a whole year group when my senior leader made me do an assembly on child soldiers so am not planning anything like that!

I want some idea of activities and can modify for my topic...without having any actual resources, as apparently no photocopying is available and they might not have anything to write on...

Piggywaspushed Fri 19-May-17 09:39:08

Also, I am assuming the other candidates might do the election so wanted to steer clear of it!

Morewashingtodo Fri 19-May-17 09:49:08

If you're Stonewall trained, I would go with it. It's a good way of demonstrating this training - something that the other candidates may well not have.

Piggywaspushed Fri 19-May-17 09:56:24

Hopefully!

needsahalo Fri 19-May-17 10:30:57

I would do something on voting/elections given the current climate - particularly looking at how people not voting could have made a difference? Show how Trump won despite not getting the most votes as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now