Talk

Advanced search

In danger of losing my professionalism...... Help!!!

(8 Posts)
onmykneesandsinking Thu 18-May-17 19:45:48

Hi! Really really in need of advice!!
I teach a mixed age group of Ks 2 children, three of whom have very severe behavioural difficulties. On a daily basis they call me every name under the sun, throw furniture, run out of class, scream for up for an hour at a time, attack pupils, trash the room and destroy anything nice we have eg will rip down wall displays or if we have practical equipment they will steal vital parts a s run away with it. It's very very hard, they also impact on each other so if one is in the middle of an outburst the others will throw things and call him names to wind him up further. If one child runs away, another will run in a different direction so you can't catch them both!!
Hard, but ok that's the job.
However, one of these three is a real favourite of the head teacher. She refuses to see any bad in him, he can behave terribly, be taken off for a cosy chat and end up getting let off all punishment because he's told her he's upset or sad about something but really wants to be good hmmhe completely winds her round his little finger. He will boast about this to us when misbehaving, whatever consequences we tell him he'll shrug and say "well I can get the head to let me off" and he's right.
He's been bullying a vulnerable child repeatedly, following him around the classroom hitting, pinching, kicking, throwing things in his face. He and his friends held this child held him down and punched him repeatedly, the other children were severely dealt with, this child ...... Nothing!!
Now the latest, the victim spent two lunch times this week sobbing and too scared to come into our classroom due to the child's actions. As consequence I banned him from. Full day trip next week.
Head teacher has told me that he must be allowed to go as he's "trying really hard to be good"
Wtf do I do? I'm so angry, exhausted from dealing with this and feeling like I'm letting other kids down. Help!!!

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 18-May-17 20:56:48

just say "no"

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 18-May-17 20:58:20

A better answer

Risk assess the child, all behavioural issues against the number of adults going, against the risks involved to the entire class and from this child to the class, place and adults.

then say "no"

onmykneesandsinking Thu 18-May-17 21:14:12

I've been advised by my union that refusing point blank to have him or take him out isn't a good idea as I could be found to be in breach of my contract. The risk assessment I could do but she's very determined where this child's concerned and will find an answer for every concern. At least safety wise it's an enclosed space this time. I think it bothers me more that he has access to all the trips and treats no matter how he behaves.... No boundaries for him!!

Rainbowcolours1 Thu 18-May-17 23:09:05

She comes as his one to one!

Rainbowcolours1 Thu 18-May-17 23:09:54

Seriously though...you are within your rights to refuse to teach him, and she can't make you.

PickAChew Thu 18-May-17 23:15:30

Risk assessment is the way to go.

it does him no favours to be unsupported in a situation he obviously can't cope with.

YoniFucker Fri 19-May-17 08:56:27

Ask her what strategies she uses to ensure he's so calm with her. Could she come and demonstrate how to use them with him while also teaching the rest of the class? wink

Re the trip, he obviously responds best to her one-to-one attention, so presumably she's coming with you to supervise him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now