Talk

Advanced search

Trainee teachers need literary tests

(16 Posts)
cdtaylornats Thu 18-May-17 17:23:20

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/trainee-teachers-need-literacy-test-7kz8fschn

Anyone think perhaps political candidates need literacy & numeracy tests?

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 18-May-17 17:24:17

It would have spared us the horror that is Donald Trump.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 18-May-17 20:59:40

How would teacher trainees taking more tests have saved us from trump?

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 18-May-17 21:04:42

They already do in England.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 19-May-17 20:07:22

Ironic that you have used the wird literary in your title rather than literacy blush

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 19-May-17 20:07:44

Lol word not wird!!!

This thread is perfectly designed for everybody to come on and make snide remarks about other people's grammar or spelling, whilst getting something wrong themselves.

Desperately tries to check own post! smile

NotYoda Fri 19-May-17 20:12:06

I think Trump needed a Cognitive Assessment. Aside from his apparent personality disorder, I am beginning to wonder whether he has early signs of dementia

PurpleDaisies Fri 19-May-17 20:12:49

We've had them for years in England. I don't see a problem with it.

cdtaylornats Sat 20-May-17 09:33:27

We've had them for years in England. I don't see a problem with it.

Don't you think it would best be done before accepting someone for teacher training. It seems somewhat wasteful of resources to train someone who has problems with literacy/numeracy to the extent they are unemployable.

suze28 Sat 20-May-17 09:42:10

I'm sure that it is a prerequisite of any teacher training course now to pass the numeracy and literacy tests before starting training. A lot of candidates pass the tests before interview.

PurpleDaisies Sat 20-May-17 09:48:55

If they're getting to the end of their training with levels of literacy and numeracy that make them unemployable, the initial test is too easy.

Haffdonga Sat 20-May-17 10:12:51

Don't you think it would best be done before accepting someone for teacher training? .

it is in England.

AlmostNQT Fri 02-Jun-17 22:59:09

Has been the case for three years now that you have to pass a numeracy and literacy test before starting any teacher training.

Take it from me, it definitely takes some studying and preparation!

I really do think it is a good idea for all teachers, even if it was stressful. Helped top up my subject knowledge before I started teaching.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sat 03-Jun-17 07:27:21

I did this four years ago - was a pre-requisite for teacher training.
There was nothing unreasonable on it. I find it depressing when I see teachers on here and elsewhere that, for example, write 'loosing' instead of 'losing'. Presumably they qualified in the days before literacy was a requirement, and I feel sorry for the kids they are teaching.
On another forum, a teacher has started a petition to send to the DoE because her local schools are 'Loosing [sic] funding due to government cuts'. That'll work. hmm

tabulahrasa Sat 03-Jun-17 07:33:46

The requirements to do the degree or pgde already include maths and English qualifications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now