Talk

Advanced search

Really rude child. Mother a governor!

(59 Posts)
avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 16:55:01

The problem is, I'm going to struggle to communicate what this girl 'does' (you, fellow teachers will doubtless understand.) Year 8.

- buries head in arms on the desk, hair falling all around her. I say her name. Sophie? SOPHIE? She then slowly, reluctantly, sits up. Big groan. 'Whaaaaaaa?' 'Sit up, please.' 'UGH!'
- turns around and giggles whenever I say anything. I mean anything. 'Sophie, have you made a start?' Turn round in seat, makes eye contact with Anna or Phoebe or Emily. Snigger, snigger, splutter, snigger. 'Sophie, turn round please.' UGH! again.
- invents illnesses - 'I feel sick / I have a headache / my stomach hurts / but miiiiiiss I feel siiiiiick.'
- even little things cause a mini tantrum - flings her pen down, snorts, rolls her eyes, does a mini Kevin the teenager thing with arms, tuts.

So, anyway, I got fed up today and I've decided to ring home. But mum is a governor ...

hoddtastic Wed 17-May-17 16:56:33

i am a governor. tell her mum- can't understand why you wouldn't.

HeyMicky Wed 17-May-17 16:58:01

If mum is a governor she should be well versed in the behaviour management policy. Regardless, if she's the sort of person to support you she will, governor or not. If she isn't then there's not much you can do

What about finding a sympathetic senior class where Sophie can spend a few lessons? They won't be nearly as impressed with her as her little pals

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 16:58:12

You really, really can't understand? smile

Obviously, not all governors are like you, but I'm sure you can understand a few reasons why I might be reluctant!

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 16:59:13

Largely 'cause she's not doing anything "that bad." But she has threatened me with Mumsy before and so do the other kids 'miss, 'er mum can get you sacked!' so while I've never spoken to the woman I am cautious.

flapjackfairy Wed 17-May-17 17:01:42

I am a governor and really we dont have enough power to sack you ! Or even make life awkward imo .
I would speak to her asap and just treat her like an ordinary parent which is exactly what she is !

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:02:51

No I know! But I just hate awkward parents and I think she will be one!

tissuesosoft Wed 17-May-17 17:02:57

Our governors strut around our school acting like God's gift to education. Was actually really funny hearing a couple of them tell us all in staff briefing that they are there to make our lives easier, can provide support etc, they then shadowed in a couple of year 8 and 9 classes and looked quite shellshocked at lunch.

Anyways- completely off topic there! I would call home and start with 'as you know xxxx, the school behaviour policy is xxxx, if this disruptive behaviour continues your DD may need to spend a lesson in a sixth form lesson so the other students are able to focus and learn.' Her being a governor could work to your advantage.

mousymary Wed 17-May-17 17:04:22

dh is a governor. A very senior one at that.

When one teacher told us a few home truths about dd at parents' evening, we were a) glad he was telling us b) mortified c) angry with dd... At no point whatsoever has there been any question of getting the teacher sacked! As if a governor could, anyway!

Mind you, I do appreciate that there are those parents, whether governors or not, who will not hear a word against their little darlings...

Alfieisnoisy Wed 17-May-17 17:04:46

Am not a Governor now but have been one and I would be fuming with my child for playing you up.

Tell her that it's general attitude stuff and explain what that is.

Honestly some kids and some parents drive me mad...and I am not even a teacher.

tissuesosoft Wed 17-May-17 17:05:00

Additionally, I wouldn't ask for her opinion or advice. Just state facts- low level continual disruptive behaviour, disrupting learning of others, not engaging with sensible behaviour and then the consequences if it continues.

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:07:07

We never see ours. But the fact the girl tries to use it to her advantage is not a great indicator! The thing is, while I'm not worried about my job (HA like any other idiot would do it!) SLT are not great. Nice, but weak. So if she gets arsey no one will really back me up!

mousymary Wed 17-May-17 17:07:40

tissuesosoft - how nasty. I have been a governor and I certainly have never strutted. Governors are like non-executive directors in companies - they hopefully bring outside perspectives and expertise. Also you might note that they do it for no remuneration and some roles are quite time consuming. Dh has spent about four hours on governor business this week - all boring financial and budgetary stuff. No strutting involved.

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:09:38

Don't take it personally mousy

tissue CLEARLY said our governors strut around our school, so she is not talking about you unless you are currently a governor an work in her school!

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 17-May-17 17:09:55

Ex-governor here too. I would be mortified if my child was behaving like that and even more mortified if the teacher was not bringing it to my attention hmm

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:10:53

Why the hmm face? smile

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 17-May-17 17:11:10

And even if she thinks her Mum can get you sacked you know she can't, right?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 17-May-17 17:12:04

Because I am mystified why a teacher isn't either disciplining the child for naughty behaviour or bringing it to the parents' attention. Hence the hmm face!

Floggingmolly Wed 17-May-17 17:12:07

Her mum being a governor means nothing, she absolutely cannot influence anybody to have you sacked. Don't expect her to take it well, though; the apple tends not to fall too far from the tree.
But that's her problem.

iogo Wed 17-May-17 17:13:12

Just tell her. All of the governors I've known (a few after 16 years teaching though 5 schools) would be mortified, cross with their child and glad you told them.

It actually sounds like you may be a newer teacher as I think I'd have felt like you in my first few years teaching. Honestly, don't worry about it. Tell her.

TheForgetfulCat Wed 17-May-17 17:16:20

I am a primary governor and have an extra-challenging child (SEN). If anything I fall over myself to be more apologetic and supportive when things go pear shaped.

And yes, even in a small primary governors are not meant to get involved in day to day staff management. Even more distant in secondary I'm guessing. If mum is a good governor she should be horrified that Sophie is making the 'get you sacked' threat. If it's coming from mum then you could seriously consider having a word with the chair of Govs.

tissuesosoft Wed 17-May-17 17:17:15

mousy- I think you're being overly sensitive. I did not state at all that all governors are like that- just the ones we've had where I have worked for the past 6 plus years. They don't interact with any staff members below SLT level so actually have no idea about what goes on in the school from the ground level apart from maybe experience with the financial side as they do not speak to teaching or non teaching staff. And to be honest, I don't have any sympathy if their role is time consuming, so is ours (also with very very little reward or remuneration). I'm sorry if you feel offended by my post but it wasn't aimed at you, unless you or your DH is a governor at a school in NW London?

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:18:16

Allthe - erm, I am! I'm hardly ignoring it. I'm following the school behaviour policy and it hasn't worked so I'm contacting home. Just sharing some anxieties with my fellow teachers. Is that permitted? hmm

avocadosripe Wed 17-May-17 17:19:09

Nah, I'm not a new teacher. I'm an old bag. Just hate arsey parents! Luckily it's rare but I get all stressed over them.

OddBoots Wed 17-May-17 17:20:08

I am a secondary governor and as much as I would love to say you should just do whatever you would do if it were any other child (and if i were my child I hope you would feel you could) I can appreciate that you may not feel able to.

Maybe speak to your head about it first, hopefully the head will back you up (and if they don't then I think there are bigger problems than this particular governor) and you will feel more able to make the call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now