Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone reassure me? TA jobs in the future...

(4 Posts)
LilyChantilly Mon 15-May-17 22:51:01

I'm currently in the middle of training to be a level 3 SEN TA and I'm seriously concerned that by the time I finish, there won't be any jobs! I chose a course that seemed to give me the greatest chance of finding employment in the rural area I live in, with lots of small primary schools who probably couldn't afford to employ a TA without the added SEN element. I was told that a lot of small primaries employ a TA on the basis of them having the SEN element, but then use them for all kinds of other roles which I would be happy with as I would like some variety. But with the funding cuts, and the idea of the tories getting back in, I'm getting very anxious and depressed about what the future holds. sad I'm not a young student, I have a DP and a 10yo DS and I'll be 50 this year so it's hard to imagine starting again with something different, especially as I love this work and really want to carry on with it...

ChangingStates Mon 15-May-17 22:58:36

I am in a school in inner city London so can't speak for rural school but we, along with just about every school I know, are restructuring support staff to help us balance the books. We are probably going to lose almost all the TAs however we have high SEN and SEN children who have allocated hours on their EHCP/statement will still require support from and SEN TA- although more of a 2:1 than 1:1 where need allows. Doing the SEN element certainly gives you more chance of employment but in my area I still wouldn't be very optimistic about your chances of finding new work at the moment. Sorry, it's all v depressing in education at the moment.

LilyChantilly Tue 16-May-17 12:03:56

Thanks for your reply ChangingStates - it is depressing on every level really. The more I find out about what is being done to the education system in this country, the more I wonder if it's really worth me carrying on... But I probably will anyway, clinging to the hope that things will get better in the future!

rollonthesummer Tue 16-May-17 20:57:49

Our TAs (the ones that are left) get paid the basic the head can get away with paying them-certainly no SEN element!

The Senco doesn't get the SEN allowance or a TLR payment either. I can't see that situation changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now